Personal Kaizen | 5 Tips When You’re on an Unclear Path

personal kaizen - an unclear pathSometimes the path isn’t clear, and we can only see about 300 feet ahead, but in our minds eye, we must see the vision and not just what’s 500 feet ahead.

Success feels fabulous, most of the time. But too often the journey towards it doesn’t feel so wonderful. There are seemingly dead-ends, detours, and moments that look like failures.  At times we even find ourselves getting in our way and … dare I say, preventing it from happening.

A number of years I go I worked for a company and the inside joke was “Hello, and thank you for calling. You’ve reached Sales Prevention, how can I prevent you from buying today?”  We joked about the fact that it was hard for a willing customer to buy, because the system was so flawed.

The point here is, sometimes we prevent ourselves from achieving our goals because our own systems are flawed, and we don’t make proper adjustments.

Don’t be your own ‘Prevention Office’.

The 5 steps below will help you to have some clarity while you create your own path, seeing only 300 feet in front of you.

1)     See the goal – It’s imperative to visualize your goal, dream, vision. You must believe in yourself and know that your goals are achievable and truly see yourself living it’s reality. This is especially important when you don’t see evidence of it happening. You mustn’t see “what is”, when “what is” isn’t what you’re wanting.  This helps you create and discover new ways to get there; it opens you up to new opportunities.

2)     Listen – In silence, in mediation open yourself up to the Divine. Be willing to ask your intuition, “What do you want me to know?” Be open minded, sit in stillness and listen. If you are seeking more information on learning how to connect with your intuition, I suggest Angela’s Powered by Intuition. I picked 4 of her posts to get you started :
The Secret to Knowing If You’re On The Right Path
7 Simple Steps to Mastering Your Mind
5 Exercises to Tap Into Your Intuitive Genius
Never Miss an Opportunity Again! Learn to Listen To Your Intuition

3)     Step away – When walking an unclear path, we tend to have a deep longing for clarity. Although you may not be able to clearly see the road before you, simply stepping away from searching (or fixating) will open up space in the mind. This opens you up to the totality of possibilities. That openness, along with trusting your intuition, will lead you in the right direction

4)     Assess & Analyze – This is the time when you look at “what is” in order to see what is working, what progress has been made.  Do you see evidence that you’re on a “right” path, or do you feel stuck? Look for small, medium and big clues of success, joy, things that tell you “yes, keep going” or things that tell you, “take this detour, and try this version.” Use this data to help you adjust your strategy.

5)     Faith – Know that you are doing the best you can with the information you have right now. Understand that you will know more, as you continue along your road.

The goals, dreams, vision you have inside of you may lay just steps away, or they may require some adjustments from you in order for you to achieve them.

Your path may not be clear, but waiting for a clear path and waiting until you’ve mapped out the “how” it will happen, may actually prevent it from happening. Don’t be too afraid to journey into the unknown.

Below are 3 affirmative prayer thoughts that I use to help me when I need to trust, and yet cannot see what lies ahead. They are taken from one of my favorite books,‘The Perfect Power Within You” Pages 110, 111

“I contemplate my heart’s desire

That which I contemplate becomes my experience. I now turn my entire attention away from the problems and contemplate my heart’s desire knowing that the Perfect Power within me knows how to bring it into my experience.
And so it is.”

“I am in harmony with life

I am in the right place doing the right thing at the right time. This is a golden moment in which I rest knowing that my good is already on the way and will become manifest at the right and perfect time.
And so it is”

“I make right choices

God wants me to have the best. The Perfect Power within me knows what is right for me and is guiding me into right choices.
And so it is”

Creating your own path, walking an unclear path, can be an exciting journey. Focus on the possibilities, tune in to your intuition, and take a moment to analyze your progress. You don’t need to see everything, just enough.

Fran Sorin March 2, 2012

This post re-affirmed everything I believe in and work at becoming more facile. The toughest thing for me is to think long term and see the beyond….where I want to be. Because I’m reading Lynn Grabhorn’s ‘Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting’, this is what I’m working with intent.

Your words and suggestions on how to move forward in my journey is a wonderful affirmation for me. Ahh…talking about the difficulty of the journey is very helpful. You are offering a reality base. :) Fran
Fran Sorin´s last [type] ..20 Quotes To Inspire Faith …And Usher In Spring

Aileen March 2, 2012

Oh I love “Excuse me your life is waiting” such an Awesome book! I’ve read it several times over the years and its fun to open it up and see parts that I had highlighted and taken notes on because it helps me see how far I’ve come. It also serves as a reminder when I open it up while in a phase of “trying to make things happen” and feeling frustrated. Such as awesome, awesome book!

It really is important to do the best we can to take the difficulty, stress, & fear out of the journey, and do our best to enjoy the process and the unknown road. Not easy. I know! But it’s imperative if we want to explore our dreams, our vision, and live an adventure of sorts.

Jane Rochelle March 2, 2012

Hi Aileen, It feels so good to step back into your Kaizen world for a few minutes. This is a beautiful, gentle post. So much goodness. I particularly like “Faith – Know that you are doing the best you can with the information you have right now. Understand that you will know more, as you continue along your road.” It reminds me of one of my former principals who used to say ‘we need to remember that these parents are sending us the best kids they’ve got, every day … whether they’ve had a bath, or breakfast, or finished their homework … it’s the best they’ve got every day.’ It has, over the years, helped me to have compassion for so many souls … finding their way, and showing up with the best they’ve got each day. What a lovely reminder you’ve given me that I, too, am showing up with the best I’ve got each day, too, and that I glean a bit from each experience, in preparation for what is to come. I am not yet prepared for what I will do. In the meantime, I do what I can with what I have, and continue learning each day. I am perfectly, absolutely … enough.
Jane Rochelle´s last [type] ..Wishcasting Wednesday: What Do You Wish for the World?

Aileen March 2, 2012

Jane, great to have your presence here :) I love the perspective of that principal; it can be so easy to judge what “the best” is – but the best we can be, where we are right now is a far better way of seeing it. And when it comes to teaching children and dealing with their minds and physiological development, it’s even more important.
“I am perfectly, absolutely … enough.” :)

Angela Artemis|Powered by Intuition March 2, 2012

Dear Aileen,
What a wonderful post. When we are unclear about the path we are on it really helps to pull back and look from a wider perspective. Thank you so much for linking to so many of my articles too!
xoxo
Angela Artemis|Powered by Intuition´s last [type] ..Who is More Intuitive Men or Women?

Aileen March 2, 2012

Hi Angela. It’s hard for me to talk about intuition and not link to your site. I often hear from people that they don’t know if they have intuition, and how can they find their intuition – so i feel it;s important to send them to a place (your site) where they can find exercises on it, education, and really have that resource to develop their intuition.

Lance March 2, 2012

What I love about this – it reminds me to “listen”. Hmmm…how easy it is to not slow down and do that. And the thing is – I can even tell myself “stop and listen” – and still, it too often just doesn’t happen like it could. So – I’m taking that today – and I’m going to actively to that this weekend – take time to really listen (and to quiet my mind at the same time).

If I haven’t told you recently, I love what you write – it is so meaningful…
Lance´s last [type] ..What Does Courage Look Like?

Aileen March 2, 2012

David Stevens March 2, 2012

…and thankyou. A few detours along the way are often good for the soul. Having the faith to keep going even when the path seems unclear is vital (even though doubt hangs around)…you have painted a very nice picture, thankyou again.
be good to yourself
David
David Stevens´s last [type] ..A Rainbow of Opportunity…..a lesson for all of us?

Aileen March 2, 2012

“A few detours along the way are often good for the soul” :) So true :)

Paige | simple mindfulness March 3, 2012

If the journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step, what a boring journey it would be if we already knew everything about it. The twists and turns may feel frustrating at the time but they happen for a reason. It’s part of our education to better prepare us for the great things to come.

I’ve definitely found that letting go of searching hard is the best way to receive the best ideas. The same works for finding your keys or finding a partner. As soon as you stop looking, they pop up right in front of your face.

These are wonderful reminders that we can’t control the process. We can just be open to the possibilities and act on them as they arise.

Thanks for another beautiful post Aileen!
Paige | simple mindfulness´s last [type] ..Where Is Your Happy Place?

Aileen March 23, 2012

“what a boring journey it would be if we already knew everything about it. ” What a great perspective! :)

Vishnu March 3, 2012

Aileen, this post came through at the exact right time. I was driving through a very heavy fog area in my car – your lessons to clarity in life match 100% to driving in foggy weather. Especially relied on faith when reading this post off my Iphone and driving at the same time. I think you can add a number 6 – focus?

Aileen March 23, 2012

Vishnu, really? You ” relied on faith when reading this post off my Iphone and driving at the same time.” ? I do get tempted to multi task while driving, but these days I’m not so willing to take those risks … as much.
Yes, focus is a good one!

Julie | A Clear Sign March 5, 2012

So glad I stumbled across your site!

What I have found is that if you can see straight clear to the end of your life (without having gone through any major “lost” periods first) then you aren’t fully aware of the possibilities before you and what your intuition is nudging you to do. It’s when you are ON track that the road suddenly looks foggy and you only get that 400 feet in front of you view. That’s when you are on to something! That’s when you must teach yourself to just trust your intuition and follow the signs, inching forward. If you hit a brick wall, just turn back around and try another way…the road will open up.
Julie | A Clear Sign´s last [type] ..In All Things Be Yourself And Never Rise To The Bait

Aileen March 23, 2012

“It’s when you are ON track that the road suddenly looks foggy and you only get that 400 feet in front of you view. That’s when you are on to something! That’s when you must teach yourself to just trust your intuition and follow the signs, inching forward. If you hit a brick wall, just turn back around and try another way…the road will open up.” Amen to that Julie! YES, that’s when we’re on to something – when we’ve lost sight of the clear view and ventured into the unknown.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comment :)

Galen Pearl March 9, 2012

Listen, step away, and have faith. And belly breathe! Those are the ones I find most helpful in those uncertain times. Great article. Thanks!
Galen Pearl´s last [type] ..Rise and Shine

Noch Noch | be me. be natural. March 10, 2012

i need to learn to “step away” and give myself some perspective. thanks for the inspiration here
Noch Noch
Noch Noch | be me. be natural.´s last [type] ..a no-guilt-no-pressure friend

Aileen March 23, 2012

Sometimes we learn to step away only to have to relearn it again in another situation. I believe it’s part of evolving – we can’t master detachment right a way. Only through practice – and practice with new things, harder things, different things

Cathy | Treatment Talk March 11, 2012

Great tips on how to get back on track. I especially like this line – “While somethings in life are out of our control, there is a lot that is within our control. Our mindset, our attitude, our openness or our resistance – are all in within our control.”

There are so many options to control our destiny, but we do need to be open and pay attention to opportunities when they come our way. Thanks for an inspiring post!
Cathy | Treatment Talk´s last [type] ..How Did It Get So Bad?

Aileen March 23, 2012

Yes being open & paying attention can be quite a challenge when we’re up against resistance – but it’s the very thing we need.

Ajen March 12, 2012

Hi Aileen- I am so glad that I read this post today. Even though I know the importance of keeping my faith up and going, the chances and challenges of this world can certainly find new ways to test me. I am glad that you have offered this post. It’s a timely reminder to pause, listen, and express gratitude while keeping Faith alive in my heart.
Ajen´s last [type] ..Jan-Mar 2012 Issue!!!

Aileen March 23, 2012