Winter Joy List. 10 Small Things To Make Winter Wonderful

winter joy two doves

“If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.”
– Anne Bradstreet

It’s winter here in the U.S and yes, Southern California does have a winter season. While it may not reach below zero temperatures where I live, it does get cold and it does get dark early. So I like finding things that make winter yummy and lovable.

I have a winter joy list, the things that help me embrace winter and celebrate it with joy. I share my secrets, so they may give you more ways to embrace the cold and have fun in the process.

In the spirit of personal kaizen, here are 10 small things to make winter wonderful.

1. Fleece Sheets– I’m surprised how many people don’t know about this amazing treat! I can’t imagine ever going back to the flannel sheet, Jersey sheet, or cotton in the cold winter. Fleece sheets are the ultimate comfort! Warning: You may sleep in and not want to get up in the morning.

2. Peppermint Green Tea – At Trader Joe’s grocery it’s called Candy Cane Tea. It has a warm wintery taste, and makes me feel like its Holiday season.

3. Slipper Collection – Yes a collection: red fuzzy slippers, bunny slippers with cute ears, slipper boots, and thick fuzzy socks in fun crazy colors. It’s pretty interesting how fun comfy footwear can change a mood. After a not so fabulous day, those polka dot thick fuzzy slipper socks make everything good again.

4. Hot Apple Cider – Sometimes I add cinnamon to the hot cider. It’s not something I drink during the rest of the year, so it feels wonderfully festive in November, December and January.

5. Hot Chocolate – Yummy hot chocolate. I usually make it with milk and not hot water.  My favorite hot chocolate mixes are Ghirardelli’s double chocolate, Ghirardelli’s chocolate hazelnut, and Godiva’s dark hot chocolate. Adding peppermint or cinnamon can be nice too. Warning: It’s not a low-calorie, or low sugar beverage

6. Autumn Colored Candles – When it gets closer to December, I’ll change out my autumn color candles for the silver ones. But fall colors create such a feeling of warmth.

7. Layer up and go to the beach – Breathe in the crisp air, and hear the sound of the birds and the ocean waves. There’s almost no one there in the winter, so it’s easy to look at the great big ocean, look all around and see just how magnificent it is. It’s peaceful, and easy to feel completely at one with nature and the Divine.

8.  Decorate – Break out autumn and winter colors. I like to add reds, amber, and silver, throughout the home. It could be in the form of pillows, blankets, candle holders, a table runner, or an area rug. Pick your favorite winter colors and celebrate the season.

9.  Fun Rain Boots – Here rains in the winter and in order to make it fun, I bought a pair of rain boots that make it enticing to splash in a puddle.

10. Lamps – Orange, red, amber lamp shades work wonders. With regular ceiling lighting, it can feel harsh or too bright, and colorful lamps, and lighting can be a wonderful solution. You can either get a few small lamps for ambiance, or have some different color light bulbs, or just use different color lamp shades. One of my lamps has a yellow light bulb (it’s an amber/red shade) it makes for great ambient light. Lighting and color effects a person’s mood and emotions, so it’s a great time to see what you love.

I’d love to hear about your favorite ways to celebrate winter.

What’s on your winter joy list?

satish deshmukh November 11, 2011

nice things I have ever read regarding winter thanks a lot pls keep in touch to exchange thoughts

thnx

Angela Artemis|Powered by Intuition November 11, 2011

You make winter sound so delicious! I’m looking forward to moving to a warmer climate some day until then peppermint tea from Trader Joe’s sounds great!
Angela Artemis|Powered by Intuition´s last [type] ..Self-Love Secrets, the Underpinning of True Success

Aileen November 14, 2011

Maybe you’ll choose California :) I do remember my NY winters. Hope you have your best winter – all blessings and abundance this year!

Lance November 11, 2011

Hmmm….I wonder how strange I might look in those red fuzzy slippers!!!!

And – we just put our flannel (hmmm…maybe it’s time to look up fleece!) sheets on last night – it’s definitely getting chilly here in Wisconsin!!

Hot cocoa…a delicious treat in the winter…yum!

One thing I really like is getting into a nice warm car after being out in freezing temps. That sudden warmth just soaks right in…
Lance´s last [type] ..How to Consume Less and Enjoy More this Holiday

Aileen November 14, 2011

Hahaha yes you might look strange in red fuzzy slippers, but it may also inspire you to take the stage again – maybe a comedy, maybe improv?
Do you use the device that automatically starts the car before you leave the house? I remember using those when I lived on the east coast – brilliant invention!

Vishnu November 11, 2011

Aileen, not sure if you can count southern california winter as winter:) Does fog and rain count as winter? I’m with your family on this one!

Aileen November 14, 2011

Hahaha – I know. I have had intense winters outside of California and I know how bone chilling they can be. I do believable there are ways to find things to love about real winter though. :)

Joy November 12, 2011

Admittedly..the photo pulled me in..I *love* winter because we celebrate “joy”!
I was raised in upstate NY so had my fill of seasons and snow..and now I, too, live in So Ca..so the rain and colder weather is enough of a “winter” for me! I love the chill in the air, and the feel and smell after the winter rains..I love hot chocolate…and I love hiking the hills without worrying about an abundance of snakes! And..to play in the snow is only an hour drive north..on clear days we can see the snow capped mountains as we drive by the beach, or we can drive to the snow, play, then pop into the jacuzzi upon our return home:)
Joy´s last [type] ..Celebrating Spaciousness on Land

Aileen November 14, 2011

Winter and Holidays is your season – the season of Joy! :)
I’m so happy I get to meet you in person! YAY!!!!

AnnHe November 13, 2011

Skiing, skating and sitting by the fire place when it is really cold (-30 degrees centigrade) outside. This makes my winter wonderful!

Aileen November 14, 2011

“Skiing, skating and sitting by the fire place” That’s a Joy List!!
I may attempt to skate this year :)

Sue Mitchell November 14, 2011

I actually love winter. Sledding, skiing, seeing the curvy structure of the trees without their leaves, the smell of snow, juniper smoke, angled light, and the invigorating cold.
Sue Mitchell´s last [type] ..Kaizen-Musings on 11/11/11

John Sherry November 15, 2011

Tell you one I like Aileen – candles. Turn off the lights and let just candles burn. They paint wonderful shapes all over the place not to mention how that natural glow draws your gaze and transports you into a more serene place. Yes, candles, a mellow mood maker that I adore!
John Sherry´s last [type] ..Beware Of Saturated Fits

Ajen November 17, 2011

Lamps!!! I never thought about how changing the lampshades for a season. What a great idea. Honestly, I am a fan of autumn. I love the colors, the crisp air, the cute sweaters, and refreshing rainfall. Nevertheless, what I love eating and drinking in autumn is easily continued in the winter. Hot cocoa, pumpkin soup, hot tea masala, spiced ginger bread, baked ripened plantains, hot oatmeal with nutmeg, and hot apple cider… yum yum…

well.. I am off to celebrate the season with something yummy :)
Ajen´s last [type] ..I dare you to look closely.

Aileen November 23, 2011

Warm Autumn colors, they make everything a bit nicer. I do love the affect of lamps – the whole room changes :)

Thank you for sharing your joy list :) I haven’t had pumpkin soup before, I need to try it. Spiced ginger bread, oatmeal with nutmeg oh YUM!