In this episode we explore the questions:
- Why is the desire to be heard and understood so strong?
- Can we feel loved by those who don’t understand us?
- Is there a way to bridge the gap when there’s a lack of understanding in relationships?
- What happens when our need to be heard and understood goes awry?
We share perspectives that open the heart and mind, for those occasions when others are seeking your understanding, and when you find yourself seeking to be understood.
1. How and why the lack of understanding can feel like a lack of love, and how you can change this.
2. How the goal of being understood can break apart relationships you care about the most.
3. Examining why the ones you love may not understand you even when they care about you, love you and even try to understand you.
4. Examining your expectations of people, and how your expectations affect your experience in the relationship.
5. The bonding nature of mutual understanding. How understanding makes it easier to connect.
6. Explore points of view by using the perspective of love to create a bridge in the absence of understanding.
7. Empowering choices you can make to relieve the frustration and not feel trapped in your feelings of hurt and disappointment.
8. What can be solved, what can be worked on, and when it’s best to let go.
As I write the show notes, I think of the beautiful Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi, which is one of my Mom’s most favorite prayers. It reminds us to think and see through the eyes of love.
- “Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.…grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love…”
We’d love to hear your fabulous thoughts and opinions on difference between Love and Understanding.
And, always, we love to hear from you about any topics you’d like to have discussed on this show. You can share in the comment section below, or email us softalkpodcast[a]gmail[dot]com
If you enjoyed listening, please share this with others. Here’s the link to the SOF iTunes page.