Take a Chance, Dare to Dance!

“There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time. This expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it.

It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open.

No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”

The above words were from Dancer & Choreographer, Martha Graham to Choreographer, Agnes de Mille after Agnes admitted she had a deep burning desire to be excellent, but no faith that she could be. (you can read more in Agnes de Mille’s autobiography, Dance to the Piper.)

Words spo­ken from one dancer to another and yet these words ring true for every person

Each and every one of us has a unique­ness that is distinctly ours

We all have magic in us that we can share with the world

It is something that lives in us

If we judge too harshly, we may squash it.  …never to be released

There is a time for per­fect­ing an idea before we release it into the world…and there’s a time to just set it free

Cre­ativ­ity loves to flow, it desires to be expressed

in you

in me

in all of us

you do not need to con­sider your­self creative

just allow your inspi­ra­tion to breathe

give your inspi­ra­tion wings so it may fly

no need to worry about how high it will go, or how long it will stay in flight

let it be

give it love

trust

release!

**************************************************************************

And so I release to you an enchanting song, Music Box, by Philip Glass. This song evokes images and stories to pop in my mind, and inspires me to choreograph it. Ahh to dance it in Red Pointe shoes! .

If you like the song you can download it for FREE at Amazon

Click to play!

What’s a desire that burns within you… yearning to be released into reality?

Joy August 26, 2011

Thank you for such an inspiring reflection! All week, I have been “daring” myself as I embrace completely new and different in my life..not knowing how this wonderful experience will manifest, but remaining open just the same. I wonder if I “dare”..and as I wonder, the old fears of “not enough” and “who am I to live a dream” surface, so I step back and observe as I gather courage. Except that this time, while I am observing, I am also experiencing, which inches me toward new and different even through my fear..
I *love* your song..and I know when you do choreograph this dance, each creative step will reflect each of your life steps, and all will be reflected through the dance you choose to share..
When you share your dreams here, you inspire me to continue to live mine..I am so grateful to *know* you…
Joy´s last [type] ..This is My Now

Aileen August 27, 2011

Joy, I’m so happy to know you! YOU inspire me.
This is the ultimate life skill, “not know­ing how this won­der­ful expe­ri­ence will man­i­fest, but remain­ing open just the same” I continue to challenge myself with this.

I too have those thoughts of “not enough” and “who am I to live a dream” and sometimes I can beat them just by thinking of the words of Marianne Williamson:
“We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn’t serve the world.
There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking… .
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone.
And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Often times these words kick out those other thoughts and it gives my the courage to keep going.

Anne August 27, 2011

WOW!!! I need to print your post and read and re-read it. It is very inspiring. Letting go, releasing fear, making room for the divine in our lives. Who are we to squash such a gift as a dream or goal when we were put on this earth to reach for our full potential. Thank you for your post!!! I love it!!

Aileen August 28, 2011

Hi Anne. Thank You :) I love how you said this ” Who are we to squash such a gift as a dream or goal when we were put on this earth to reach for our full potential.”

Evita August 29, 2011

Hi Aileen

Oh this was beautiful and how so right on… if we do judge too harshly (as we often do) we may squash it. I do think of all the magic possible in our lives, in our world, that is brushed aside because of this or that.

But your words here are a beautiful invitation to embrace that magic, to embrace our uniqueness and truly live! Thank you for this inspiring read :)
Evita´s last [type] ..Good Job, Keep Up the Good Work, I Love You

Aileen August 31, 2011

Hi Evita :) there really is an abundance of magic possible in our lives; I know that sometimes and in some situations it doesn’t feel that way, but it’s always infinite. It gives me chills thinking of all the times and all the years I foolishly believed in limitations more than I believed in infinite possibilities.

Belinda August 29, 2011

I love what you say about creativity, Aileen, because it is a muscle, so to speak, that we all possess. It’s a manifestation of what and who we are within that really needs and deserves to be expressed.

Aileen August 31, 2011

Hi Belinda :) creativity is a muscle YES! Too often if we feel we’re not good at something creative, then we stop, rather than continuing to work on our creative muscle. “It’s a man­i­fes­ta­tion of what and who we are within that really needs and deserves to be expressed.” Amen to that!

Tess The Bold Life August 30, 2011

This is so beautiful, the quote, your words and the music. Comparing and squashing get us no where. The work of the ego and you know I love Marianne! xo

Aileen August 31, 2011

Yes, we are Marianne fans :) her work has had an incredible effect on me over the years. It’s an ever growing process – leaving the realm of ego and living in true spirit.

Angela Artemis|Powered by Intuition August 30, 2011

I missed this one. I had no electricity during the hurricane. How beautiful. I loved the quote from Martha Graham. So inspiring. I can see you dancing in pointed red shoes to the music box music too~
Angela Artemis|Powered by Intuition´s last [type] ..5 Strategies to Help You Achieve Success

Aileen August 31, 2011

Angela, I hope all is okay with you with the hurricane visit – a most unwelcome guest. The storm was pretty brutal.
I will choreograph that song :) I colored my pointe shoes, but the first attempt didn’t quite work out right – it’ll be a little process I think.

Rosemary August 30, 2011

What a this beautiful and inspirational post Aileen…the music is perfect!

You’re so right! If we don’t give our inspiration freedom then how can it possibly fly!

Thanks for letting your inspiration fly :)
Rosemary´s last [type] ..Signposts and Roses

Aileen August 31, 2011

Hi Rosemary! :) “If we don’t give our inspi­ra­tion free­dom then how can it pos­si­bly fly!” let’s shout this out and make a promise to ourselves to let inspiration lead us and to not squash it!

David Stevens August 30, 2011

Pop the cork,let it all out. One’s “life force” is no use sitting inside a bottle. Thank you for the inspiration.
be good to yourself
David
David Stevens´s last [type] ..The Story so far……

Aileen August 31, 2011

“One’s “life force” is no use sit­ting inside a bot­tle” Can I get this on a T-shirt? Seriously.
Thank you for your wonderful comment David.

David Stevens August 31, 2011

Go for it, just send me the odd ‘royalty’ cheque.
be good to yourself
David
David Stevens´s last [type] ..The Story so far……

Evelyn Lim August 30, 2011

I remember reading the quote by Martha Graham and felt very inspired by it. I believe that I have been challenging myself a little more each day. But I definitely can do with more encouragement in the dare to stretch. So, thanks for your beautiful and inspiring message today! I will certainly take your advice :-)

Shine from Your Soul,
Evelyn
Evelyn Lim´s last [type] ..Body Image: Take A Look In the Mirror

Aileen August 31, 2011

Hi Evelyn. Oh yes daring to stretch – I do believe I’m in stretch season and it’s been going on for a year and half. Sometimes I’d like a break and wish to crawl into the static zone for a reprieve for a moment. But not just yet. One major mission underway and it needs to reach fruition first.
Challenging yourself a little a day is perfect! I do believe we get further faster by small steps and a little a day is just right.

John Sherry August 31, 2011

Glad you said it Aileen! I have a boogie master in me who has to be released and get down on a regular basis. People think I’m mad because if I’m out in the street and some music is blaring in a shop or a radio playing with a song I like I’ve gotta do a little jig. Or, I’m always hitting the dance floor at home when a top tune comes on a show or an advert on TV. I respond to the stuff – it’s a life force. My soul is whole ’cause it dances!
John Sherry´s last [type] ..Life Is Normal

Aileen August 31, 2011

Hi John. You know I can actually see you dancing in the streets – I just can.
You truly move to your inspiration – freely and with great openness. I know its a conscious choice, and I really feel that others learn from you as they open up to living authentic and true to their spirit. Or as you say “100% You”
Yep, you’re contagious.

Cristina | Positively Beauty August 31, 2011

Beautiful quote, beautiful post, magical music…thank you for the inspiration!
Cristina | Positively Beauty´s last [type] ..Lemon Blueberry Almond cake

Aileen August 31, 2011

Hi Cristina :) thank you!

Joe @ Shake off the Grind September 5, 2011

Very creative and inspiring post! We all have a creative side within us if we are willing to be open and let our creativity free. Along the way we probably hear things that squash our creative nature and make us insecure to let it loose, but it is in all of us and when we can be open to this expression we can start to live more fully!
Joe @ Shake off the Grind´s last [type] ..The What and How of Practicing Mindfulness