Creating Affirmations That Work

kaizen affirmations

Ever tried to use an affirmation but felt like it wasn’t working?

Sometimes it’s a matter of customizing the affirmation so it rings true with your mind. It’s not going to be effective if it feels like we’re lying to ourselves.

Below is my first video blog post, and below it are some key phrases I like to use to kick-start a fresh new affirmation.
Here’s a personal example:

1) Start with the thought you don’t want example: it’s so hard to lose weight

2) Go to the ideal thoughtexample:  I’m so happy I’m at my ideal weight

3) Work your way from thought # 1 towards thought #2, and come to a phrase that’s believable and workable

Example: It’s so hard to lose weight, but by saying this I feel trapped. I want to be at my ideal weight but it seems so far away. If I could implement consistent healthy changes I know I would lose the weight. I’ve done it before I can do it again. I just have to reduce of my sugar intake, reduce my “high glycemic index” foods (like bread and other carbs) that instantly turn into sugar. I need to stop my inflammatory foods and beverages, like coffee, and I need to spike up my exercise beyond dancing.

– I know what I need to do to lose weight and I can choose to make consistently healthy choices.

– Starting now, I choose the healthy choices. I love making healthy choices and I love the empowered feeling it gives me. I am so excited to make my 30 day campaign of wild and crazy health! I start today.

– Today I chose health! …and I love the rewards of health more than I enjoy that  short-lived moment of  morning coffee. I can do this!

Now I have a handful of affirmations that I can use throughout the day to keep me making healthy choices and take the consistent steps towards losing the eight pounds I’ve been carrying around.

Kick start phrases to create your affirmations:

I know that I am more than capable of ….
I know that I am more than capable of  being a social butterfly, I’m  going to enjoy meeting one new person today

I know that I am perfectly capable of….
I know that I am perfectly capable of asking for a raise and I’m going to put together a document of everything I’ve done over and above my requirements that will help me to articulate my request.

From this point forward I choose to…
From this point forward i choose to not give in to fear. If I have to take it with me so be it. I will no longer be stopped by fear.

That was then. This is now and now I……
That was then. This is now and now I am no longer afraid to approach a person and start a conversation.

Today I choose…..
Today I choose to show myself love by being disciplined and sticking to my workout routine

I am so excited to……. Because……
(I am so excited to make that awkward phone call because I’ll have made the empowered choice and the issue will be off my mind)

I can….if I calm down and choose to….
(I can hear my intuition if I calm down and choose to sit in stillness for a moment. I’ll do that now)

Together with the divine…….
(Together with the divine there is nothing I cannot handle. I will walk into that event and talk to ten people)
or
(Together with the divine, I have the strength to get through this and I can already feel it’s success).

Please share with me your favorite affirmations! I’d love to hear them.

Louise July 1, 2011

I am impressed with your video!!! My affirmation I use when needed is “I AM AS HAPPY AS I MAKE UP MY MIND TO BE and I am going to be happy”. Now, if I am having a down day I say that and it works for me. :)

Aileen July 1, 2011

“I AM AS HAPPY AS I MAKE UP MY MIND TO BE and I am going to be happy”. I like this!!! :) Thank you for sharing it. I can already feel that this is going to be pretty effective!! An attitude adjustment :)

Rosemary July 1, 2011

Hey Aileen, I love this video…you come across as so natural and authentic not to mention enthusiastic and sincere! Wey hey…you’re enthusiasm is giving me the encouragement to get back to affirmations which have never really worked for me…and I think you’ve just given me the key. I’ll try again and let you know how it goes. Thanks Aileen…you rock!

Aileen July 1, 2011

Hi Rosemary :) thank you :) I hope you find your experiments with affirmations to be positive & effective. Please do let me know if you find them working :)

Angela Artemis July 1, 2011

This was excellent. I love the idea of finding an affirmation that rings true for you.
Great advice. We can’t expect to jump across a chasm of disbelief. We need to condition our minds to get over the disbelief first – and that’s what your process does so well!

I am capable of succeeding at anything I desire to accomplish!

(You are so fabulous on camera.)

Aileen July 1, 2011

“I am capa­ble of suc­ceed­ing at any­thing I desire to accomplish!”
Angela, I love this!
It’s so true about trying to “jump across a chasm of dis­be­lief.” I’ve fallen each and every time – there needs to be a bridge :)

Lance July 2, 2011

Aileen!!
This is completely wonderful – YOU, on video! And the message you’ve shared – which really just covers affirmations so, so well!!

I’ve recently started acting in a small local play (showtime in a couple of weeks). This was a big step out of my comfort zone. Still, it was possible because I told myself – not that I could be the lead actor (my mind would not have believed it). Instead – it was along the lines of “I can play a supporting role and do it well.” And…as of today…I’ve got my lines memorized and I’m feeling really good about it all!

By the way – reading here on your site about your ballet (in previous posts) – this was such an inspiration for me in doing this – in trying something I’ve thought about for some time now… So, from deep within my heart…Aileen, thank you for sharing here on your site so openly. You are a light of possibility and love in this world…

Aileen July 5, 2011

Lance, I’m so thrilled to hear you’re doing a play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo showtime for Lance! What a fantastic choice you made – I wish I could see the show (I’m a great audience member). I wonder if you’ll continue to do more performances? I know the rehearsals can be wildly time consumer – but it’s such a great experience. I am truly ecstatic for you!

Farnoosh July 3, 2011

Aileen, my love, you have found your medium: Video is perfect medium for you – you are entertaining, funny and unforgettably effective. THANK YOU so much for clarifying a topic that has been a bit of hazy to me. Now I will find my own affirmations. You are brilliant and I love how you shine in this video and how many people you can help. Thank you for posting.

Aileen July 5, 2011

Thank you Farnoosh!!

John Sherry July 5, 2011

I just switched on to Channel Aileen at Kaizen Vision TV and watched a stellar show on affirmations. You look and sound even more amazing in the flesh than you write Aileen and you have the ‘write stuff’ so that’s saying something.

I feel affirmations do work and I create mine in 2 simple but highly workable ways 1) Keep them as short as possible (as most are far too long and often get mixed up being difficult to remember) and 2) Make them the present time. So my current one which I’m loving la vida loca is, ‘My stunning new life has arrived’. I know what it means, know what it appiles to, and feel great saying and thinking it. Keep them personal, you don’t have to affirm in ways others understand. Just you. Looking forwards to and trusting there’ll be more Aileen on the screen soon!!

Aileen July 5, 2011

Thank you John! :)

‘My stun­ning new life has arrived’ I love this. I may make this my mantra for a while, if you don’t mind me borrowing it. It’s quite Brilliant!

I also love your format (1) keep them short and (2) make them present time

John Sherry July 6, 2011

Feel free to be stunned!

Aileen July 7, 2011

:) Woo Hoo! I’m stunned that My stun­ning new life has arrived and now watching it’s evolution

Joe @ Shake off the Grind July 5, 2011

This is a wonderful post! I really believe in the power of affirmations. They can be done anywhere or anytime. I’m working to utilize them every morning and be more consistent, and the “kick start” phrases you provided will give me some good direction. I like the video as well and look forward to see more.

Aileen July 7, 2011

Hi Joe. Morning affirmations are a great way to start the day with an empowered mind and focus. I love having them replace my habitual thoughts.

Cathy | Treatment Talk July 6, 2011

Congratulation your first video. Great post. I like your description of thinking through your thoughts and coming up with the affirmation that will help you let go of the negative thinking. I keep telling myself when I come across something that is challenging, like new technology, “I can do this.” I try to break it down step by step and when you do accomplish something you were not sure about, your confidence grows. Thanks – keep making videos!

Aileen July 7, 2011

Hi Cathy. I love that you talk about growing confidence. Having tried the ‘fake it ’till you make it’ approach and it not working so well – I’ve been using the approach of celebrating small successes and growing the confidence. Technology was once something I’ve avoided because it was purely overwhelming and I began to think I couldn’t do anything technical and using the affirmation “I can do this” just like you – it worked – and I’ve come to really enjoy learning new technologies and going into the challenge of figuring them out. I’m no longer intimated by new gadget or software.

Such a wonderfully practical use for affirmations – I can do this – and applying it to life skills such as technology. I truly love the practical nature of applying affirmations this way.

Tess The Bold Life July 6, 2011

I love you on video. I love affirmations and have used them for years. I have a huge zip lock bag with about 123 index cards that I’ve made. I read them regularly. I can’t imagine life without them. More videos please.

Aileen July 7, 2011

Hi Tess :) I like your use of index cards. I’ve gotten in the habit of using post-it notes over the years, but they aren’t as durable. If you don’t mind, I’d love to follow your use of index cards – it’s an upgrade.

The title of your website/blog is a wonderful affirmation!!

Evelyn Lim July 7, 2011

I enjoyed the natural way you presented yourself in your video. It’s great! You should do more videos!! You have just inspired me to make personal video presentations.

I also use affirmations and have found that it is very important to make them believable. It’s also working on their tone from negative to being neutral and then positive. The examples that you’ve provided are useful, indeed!

Aileen July 7, 2011

Hi Evelyn. Glad to have inspired you to do videos :) I actually find it easier than writing, but I went ahead and wrote a matching post anyway – which made it equally challenging lol I look forward to your future videos :)

King Author July 7, 2011

Affirmations are the Best. Writing them down is even better, because it focus the mind to focus more and roots the words and emotions into your subconscious more effectively. Try writing affirmations down each night before bed…It works wonders!

Aileen July 12, 2011

Ahhh great suggestions! Writing them down before going to sleep – allowing them space and time to sink in without our conscious minds fighting them.
Great suggestion!!!

Linda Gabriel July 10, 2011

Great video and great information. Thanks Aileen!

Aileen July 12, 2011

Belinda July 11, 2011

Hi Aileen, great vlog! I enjoyed watching and listening to you!

Thank you for posting this — I have been lagging on my practice of affirmations. But yes, I believe and know that they work. Our thoughts are a form of energy that gathers momentum. Affirmations are thoughts, a form of energy, that build and if they continue to build, they become reality. It’s tricky to convince a skeptic of this, that is, until they try it.

Aileen July 12, 2011

Ahhh those lovely skeptics. I do have a way of attracting them into my life and it’s always such a challenge since they often love proving how it doesn’t work rather than actually trying.

Priscilla July 16, 2011

OH Aileen – how awesome to hear your sweet voice and see your beautiful face! I love your message! I will be sharing this wonderful information with my clients! Fantastic and inspiring!

Sean Cox July 17, 2011

Thanks Aileen. I’m typically turned off by affirmations, as the ones suggested are often a bit too grandiose and unrealistic, which I think people know deep inside, and as a result people never quite get traction with them. I like that many of your affirmations, however, highlight our power of CHOICE, eg, “Today I choose . . . ” This keeps things within the boundaries of what we can control, and thus more realistic and attainable. I like this.

Jared July 20, 2011

Like your video. I’d have to say the the statement “…Affirmations don’t work” is in itself a “block”. If this is true, then first THAT must be overcome (using affirmations) ;) interesting!

J.D. Meier July 25, 2011

> it rings true with your mind
Language is a powerful thing.

For example, leading a project might not fire me up, but I’m always excited to go on an “epic adventure.”

I think the words that connect with our values, ring the truest.

Brandywine December 14, 2011

That’s a slutbe way of thinking about it.

Amy Putkonen July 26, 2011

This is my first visit. Love this post! I agree with you, that affirmations really have to feel right or they just don’t work. Somewhere between where you want things to be and where you feel you can place yourself is the place to be. I find it helps to visualize using as many senses as possible the outcome as well. I really liked your focus on food choices because I am there as well. Nice to meet you!