How Inspiration Created A Golden Opportunity

We’ve all had moments where life looked bleak and finding a genuine feeling of hope and optimism felt like trying to find a needle in the haystack while suffocating in the hay.

I’d like to share with you a story that inspired me over the last couple of weeks. You may have already seen or heard Ted Williams’ story, but if you haven’t, then take a look.

Ted Williams Man with Golden Voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rPFvLUWkzs

Here’s a link to the video of his interview on CBS

And here’s another update on his story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEn1p3hlA4s&feature=channel

After reading follow-up stories and hearing about him going into rehab, it really sheds light on how our choices affect our lives and those around us. I don’t know if he will make empowering choices or if he will fall into the sabotaging arms of addiction. What I do know is that he was inspired to write and carry his creative sign about his golden voice, and a reporter was inspired to capture it on video, which lead to companies being inspired to offer him jobs. Seeds of inspiration can help us make choices that turn into wonderful opportunities.

The real value of Inspiration

FUTURE — Inspi­ra­tion may not be able to change the past, but it can be the vision that encour­ages you to cre­ate your future

ENERGY – Inspi­ra­tion may not be the oxy­gen that fuels your body, but it can be what fuels your mind.

STRENGTH — Inspi­ra­tion may not be the mus­cles that carry your bur­dens, but it can be the power that lifts your spirit.

LIFE Inspi­ra­tion can’t bring back some­one you may have lost, but it can move you to cel­e­brate their life and honor their spirit.

MONEY — Inspi­ra­tion may not give you the money or the job that you des­per­ately need, but it can give you the cre­ativ­ity and moti­va­tion to achieve financial well being.

LOVE – Inspi­ra­tion may not be the love that you long for, but it may give you the vision to see through the eyes of love

SURVIVAL — Inspi­ra­tion may not be the res­cue that you need, but it can invite an oppor­tu­nity that allows for your survival.

WORLD — Inspi­ra­tion may not change the whole world, but it can mean the world to some­one who seeks change.

Inspiration may not be tangible, but it can create tangible things

Inspiration can move you when you’re dormant in defeat, but it’s up to you to go the distance when she gets you on your feet.

What inspiring stories have you come across recently?

Katie January 23, 2011

Beautiful and truly wise words to live by, Aileen. Inspiration is all any of us is looking for and you’ve shown us why. I love the last one in particular “may not change the world but can mean the world to someone”. Lovely.
Katie´s last [type] ..When You Are Sad

Aileen January 25, 2011

Inspiration can seem frivolous at times, but if we look at from different angles it’s pretty amazing what it can do.

Angela Artemis January 24, 2011

Wow. This was an awesome post! I feel inspired and motivated after reading it – and who couldn’t use a shot of that? It brings to mind other inspirational stories like Susan Boyle. We all have a spark of greatness in us. We just need to be given a chance, and maybe to give ourselves another chance. Thank you!!!
Angela Artemis´s last [type] ..25 Ways to Jack-Up Your Success Using Intuition

Aileen January 25, 2011

Susan Boyle’s moment was incredibly inspirational – I remember the first time I saw her video on You Tube and I was nearly moved to tears. It takes inspiration and the courage to act on it – and it takes the universe giving the person a chance – … and then it’s about how the person “runs” with it :)

David | Listen Feel Breathe January 24, 2011

Inspiration can be found everyday if we take the time to slow down a little, take a few deep breaths, and open our eyes and ears.

A child laughs without any worry about how he looks or sounds- I am inspired to try to be happier and more carefree. A customer says how happy they are with the service they received- I am inspired to think the best in people and to compliment them. I see a beautiful painting- I am inspired to be more creative.

Then I show enthusiasm in my life, and this inspires action in others. Inspiration is great for creating opportunities
David | Listen Feel Breathe´s last [type] ..Day 23- Stop thinking about it- stop learning about it and just start doing it

Aileen January 25, 2011

David, you are so right “Inspi­ra­tion can be found every­day if we take the time to slow down a lit­tle, take a few deep breaths, and open our eyes and ears.” it’s amazing what happens when we choose to be open to life.

Colby January 24, 2011

So true! Inspiration begets motivation and hope. Something I know very much about but never thought about it in the way you just eloquently wrote. Thank you for writing this – it really helps on this Monday morning!!

Aileen January 25, 2011

Colby, thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts here. I’m glad this post started your week this Monday morning :)

John Sherry January 24, 2011

I have heard this story and it’s heart warming to know that mankind has the enormous capacity to welcome and support someone back into it’s flock to care and help. We have more ability to love and share than anything else so thank you Aileen for the gentle reminder of how compassionate at heart we really are. A true feel good post. Bless you with bliss.
John Sherry´s last [type] ..How Do You Use Words

Aileen January 25, 2011

Hi John. When I listen to the news and here the dreadful things people do it can seem like we are not a compassionate species – but in truth we really are compassionate. It’s important to be reminded how mankind is fundamentally “good” – and stories like this remind us of that :)

Lauren January 24, 2011

Dear Aileen,

I loved this – it made my day!

I’d heard about this man but hadn’t seen the videos yet. It is so uplifting to know there is hope of redemption and it may be right around the corner. Inspiration fuels us to keep going.

Love,
Lauren
Lauren´s last [type] ..God Is Hanging Out At The Lost And Found

Aileen January 25, 2011

Isn’t is incredible how a persons “chance” or “moment” may just be ‘right around the corner’ whether we know it or not. Ahhh life and all it’s surprises.
Inspiration really does fuel us to keep us going :)

Marci January 24, 2011

Hello Aileen, I’ve seen you around the comment boxes in blog-world, and I thought I’d take a peak at your blog. And, I love your words about inspiration – what it is not, but what it is. I love it when inspiration becomes tangible – it can become something to hold onto – powerful post. :)

I think we have similar blogging passions. I write about small steps for big change too. :) I’ll be back soon…
Marci´s last [type] ..When Staying is the Best Liberating Decision

Aileen January 25, 2011

Hi Marci, nice to “meet you” :) I love that you write about small steps to big change! Thanks for stopping in :)

Leah McClellan January 24, 2011

This is great, Aileen, I didn’t hear about this story but it sure is inspiring! What a voice on this guy! When he mentioned Flatbush–well I used to live in NY and the place had/has a reputation so I got the picture pretty quick though I don’t know how it is now. That guy has probably been to hell and back–if he can make that kind of journey we all can!

Love how you point out that inspiration isn’t everything, but it can take you somewhere. I love each one. Probably ought to paint them on the wall in front of my desk :)
Leah McClellan´s last [type] ..Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones But Words Can Hurt Much Worse

Aileen January 25, 2011

“if he can make that kind of jour­ney we all can!” – so true Leah, thanks for reminding us that we’re all made of that type of inner strength – we just need to tap into it.

Living the Balanced Life January 25, 2011

Great words Aileen! I too was inspired by reading them. Sometimes someone just needs a little faith in them to propel them forward. In my last job, I had the opportunity to help show women what they were capable of and help them move towards it. It was very rewarding.
Love this line- Inspi­ra­tion may not change the whole world, but it can mean the world to some­one who seeks change.
Have an inspiring day!
Bernice
Living the Balanced Life´s last [type] ..Get enough sleep

Aileen January 25, 2011

Bernice, sounds like you had a pretty amazing job – what a great way to spend one’s day, helping others move forward!
Yes, a little Faith can go a long way mix it with a dab of inspiration and we can accomplish anything :)

Cristina January 25, 2011

I didn’t know about this story, thanks for sharing. His voice is amazing!
I’ve just finished reading 101 quotes from Sandra at Always Well Within, and now your post about inspiration is like the icing on the cake! I believe in inspiration as the seed of change, too – “Inspi­ra­tion may not change the whole world, but it can mean the world to some­one who seeks change”.
Have a great day :)

P.S. Love the header!!
Cristina´s last [type] ..Winner of Discover your Passion giveaway

Aileen January 25, 2011

I loved Sandra’s 101 quotes – such a great post! Yes, inspiration can be the seeds of change – and we just need to nurture it and keep it growing.

Tess The Bold Life January 25, 2011

I like Strength! I need my spirit lifted today. Come to think of it, who doesn’t. Thanks for inspiring us to be better and do better.
Tess The Bold Life´s last [type] ..Running- Why My World Revolves Around It

Jasmine January 26, 2011

Wow. I had seen fragments of Ted Williams’ story, but I hadn’t really heard the whole thing. It really does go to show that any minor decision affects so many around us, potentially many around those and so on. It makes me happy to see that this man has rebound and come clean. Whether he has the will to stay clean is on his shoulders and you won’t find any judgment coming from my direction! Let the man live in the light while he can!
Jasmine´s last [type] ..unique wedding gifts

Marnie January 26, 2011

There is something amazing about his voice that I just can’t put my finger on. And yes, I agree that inspiration had everything to do with it.

Belinda January 27, 2011

I absolutely loved this story and your post sums up how truly important inspiration is. To live life with inspiration, that electric charge — it’s not just for us, it’s for everyone with whom we interact that has a way of sustaining others and even being a ray of light for those in their darkest of nights.
Belinda´s last [type] ..ALL CLEAR- FeedMedic Alert for thehalfwaypoint

nancy January 28, 2011

Yes, Ted Williams was a “insprirational” story, however this story is far from over…..Wasn’t it him that proclaimed on national TV that he had been sober for two years….and two days later he’s in rehab? Now he’s left rehab…I’m all for inspirational stories, but I perfer ones that last more than 2 days. He needs to help himself to be a real inspiration to others.

Aileen February 3, 2011

Hi Nancy, thank you for visiting and sharing your thoughts. I too like true stories about long lasting success. The main point I was trying to make was that inspiration happens, but it’s up to us – or in this case, up to Ted Williams to go the distance with it and making lasting change. He may not do that, and like you said he did go into rehab after saying he was sober for 2 years – inspiration gave him an opportunity and I find it inspiring that inspiration happens to all people – but, what the individual does with it is up to their will, their desire and levels of self control.

cailen February 4, 2011

what a lovely post. thank you for sharing the story and your insight : )

happy weekend!
cailen´s last [type] ..some dandy date ideas

Ajen February 9, 2011

Aileen, the statement “Inspiration can move you when you’re dormant in defeat, but it’s up to you to go the distance when she gets you on your feet” is so true. I visualize “Inspiration” breathing life into us when we are on our last breath on the most tiresome day. What she inspires into us is a creative life force that is made from knowledge and potential. Our journey is unique and wearisome at times, and yet we have “Inspiration” to reveal the ever present opportunities of joyous creativity.

Thank you for your inspiring post.
Ajen´s last [type] ..Three Technically Six Fun Exercises to Describe Who You Are

Jane Rochelle March 22, 2011

Prayers for Ted Williams, wherever he is today.
Jane Rochelle´s last [type] ..For the Love of Summer- A Young Mother Needs Your Help