Relieve Stress With a Simple Detox Bath

I know the Holidays can be stressful, but somehow I’ve managed to avoid it over the years until this year. It’s been a pretty overwhelming month with good stuff, bad stuff and everything in between.

Having just ended the Nutcracker, finalized my Christmas menu and figuring out a table arrangement for my 15 dinner guests for Saturday, I found something that’s been beneficial in de-stressing me this week and I want to share it with you.

It’s my sister’s detox bath. I call it hers because she introduced me to it. I don’t know where it actually originated, but it’s wonderful!

Admittedly I am a fan of baths, but I usually like more elaborate ones with bubbles and nice smelling scents. This one has none of that, but I did go for dim candle light and kept it at only two candles.  Although its goal is purely to detox the body,  I found many more benefits.

The Benefits

1. Relieve tight muscles, aches and pains – After a grueling rehearsal schedule, I actually experienced a tremendous difference the day after I took the bath.  There was no aches or soreness in my muscles, and noticed a lovely increase in my flexibility. It felt quite freeing.

2. Relax the mind and body – Although I love my daily meditation, I found this bath to be a wonderful addition to deeply relaxing my mind and body especially since I just couldn’t seem to unwind… it just wasn’t happening.

3. Induce a great night of sleep – Since I’ve been entangled with a nasty flu bug my interruptive coughing had been keeping me up at night, but after the bath I was able to sleep for six hours straight and felt wonderfully refreshed in the morning. Next time I’m feeling like I can’t sleep, I’m taking this bath to knock me out.

4. Rejuvenate your skin – All I can say is my skin looked great the day after the bath. I’m not sure how or why, but it had a lovely effect.

5. Detox ? – I can’t prove whether or not it actually detoxifies the body, but that’s what it claims to do. It certainly feels great and energizes me the following day.

The Bath

It’s quite simple, just set up a bath with the warmest water you can handle and add the following:

2-cups Baking Soda A&h Baking Soda 16oz

1-cup Epsom Salt Great Lakes Wholesale 2Lb Epsom Salts 7627500002 Pack Q Personal Care

1-cup Sea Salt Sea Salt, 1 lb.

…and for moisture I added a few drops of jojoba oil since I tend to have dry skin and need extra moisturizer.

As suggested above, I do recommend turning off the lights and just having candle light.

That’s it.

No need to become a raisin, set a timer for 20 to 25 minutes and just enjoy your bath.

It’s simple, affordable and doesn’t take much time.  All of the ingredients can be found in most grocery stores, drug stores, and health food stores and it makes it easy to find.

If you are feeling the Holiday stress and you want a reprieve, I recommend the detox bath.

It’s recommended that those who are pregnant or have heart trouble, high blood pressure, or are diabetic, should take precautions and check with their doctor before taking a hot salt bath.

Louise December 23, 2010

What a great article, I could feel myself relaxing in the “warm” salt bath just reading about it. I am anxious to fill the tub a little later on. Thank you.

Aileen December 24, 2010

I do hope you have a moment to take the twenty minute bath :)

Angela Artemis December 23, 2010

Congratulations on all your fine work in the Nutcracker. I wish I could have seen you.

This detox bath sounds wonderful. Very interesting too.

Baking soda is very alkalizing to the body. Many times when were under stress and our immune system is down it’s because we’ve become too “acidic.” Perhaps the skin is absorbing the baking soda and changing the alkalinity of the body just like going to a natural sulphor spring would? Maybe this is why your aches subsided after the bath?

The group I meditate with has an exercise where we soak our feet in salted water to draw out the “negativity.” We also gargle with salt water when we have sore throats. There must be something that salt does that’s good for us.

Thanks for sharing this. I’m going to make time to do a detox bath. It sounds wonderful.
Happy holidays and best wishes for a terrific new year.
Angela Artemis´s last [type] ..Love is The Greatest Gift – A Holiday Message

Aileen December 24, 2010

Thank you for the additional information Angela! I didn’t know baking soda was alkalizing to the body – that makes a lot of sense in how it can balance out the acidity. – I like the idea of a salt water foot soak – I love that you do it to draw out negativity. I wonder, do you psychically feel a difference?

Happy Holidays to you!!! and a most amazing 2011

Andrea DeBell - britetalk December 23, 2010

Hi Aileen! This detox bath sounds absolutely lovely! I gotta try this. Good luck with your dinner for 15 people. It seems that you’ll be busy. :)
Thanks for this great tips. Have a blessed Christmas!
Andrea DeBell – britetalk´s last [type] ..The Unique Joys of a Simplified Christmas

Aileen December 24, 2010

Thank you Andrea. Have a blessed and beautiful Christmas!!

Ande Waggener December 23, 2010

I’m going to try this for sure, Aileen. I often use epsom salts and essential oils (love bergamot) in my bath, but I’ve never added the baking soda or sea salt. Sounds delightful! Thanks. :)
Ande Waggener´s last [type] ..If You Want Peace- Be It

Aileen December 24, 2010

Hi Ande, I love essential oils too!! they are wonderful. I know sometimes my sister adds an oil to her detox bath, I didn’t … but I may foe the next one.

RinatisDinoro@SmartAboutThings December 24, 2010

:) Did you ever try a bath with clay?
RinatisDinoro@SmartAboutThings´s last [type] ..16 YouTube Videos You Will Tell Your Nephews About!

Aileen December 24, 2010

I haven’t yet tried a clay bath. I’ll have to look into that – maybe a new experience for a new year :)

Lauren December 24, 2010

Dearest Aileen,

I look forward to my return to Ca. and my bathtub. I shall be soaking to raisin-dom in this heavenly bath. And you can be I’ll have my candle lit, along with soothing music.

Hmm…thanks and happy holidays to you. May your dinner be delightful!

Love,
Lauren
Lauren´s last [type] ..Don’t Ask Don’t Tell- The Lie Is Over

Aileen December 24, 2010

Hi Lauren, soaking to raisin-dom :) oh, I have done that before

Have a blessed and beautiful Christmas!!!

Lauren December 24, 2010

Hey, I wanted to tell you, I LOVE the visual of your website – it’s beautiful!

Lauren
Lauren´s last [type] ..Don’t Ask Don’t Tell- The Lie Is Over

Leah McClellan December 24, 2010

I never take baths because…well, I bought my fixer-upper house three years ago and the bathroom isn’t my favorite place. It’s OK, not exactly falling apart or anything (call me finicky lol) but…anyway, you gave me some inspiration to see what I can do to spiff up the bathroom enough, without any major overhaul, so I can try the detox bath! Recaulk around the tub, double-scrub and polish the hardware, maybe a new shower curtain….

Didn’t know you were contributing to home remodeling, did you lol Thanks, I really need to see if this will help me sleep better!
Leah McClellan´s last [type] ..My Holiday Message For You

Aileen January 2, 2011

Leah, a bathroom is my favorite room in a home and when it’s not “in shape” I must change it enough to make it so. So I cheer you on as you spiff up yourbathroom into an inviting haven – that beckons you to indulge in baths :)

The detox bath really does help me sleep – hope it works well for you!!

Robfstr MT January 2, 2011

Really like this site. That bath sounds pretty good. What I do is after a hot shower I pat dry then apply a thin coat of baking soda w/ my paint roller. I use a thin nap seems to work better.