A Tribute to Real Life Super Heroes

one man helping another up a mountain in silhouettThe body tells them they are tired, “rest a while,” it says.
Their mind tries to justify a moment to relax and unwind, as it unknowingly invites in the gravitation pull, which sings a lullaby that tries to lull them into sleep.

Our Super Heroes push themselves past the impulse to rest and go into the wee hours of the night or rise at the earliest shade of dawn. They continue past the point that their body wants to stop. They do not indulge themselves in mindless distractions as way to unwind.
No, no … rather they honor their mission.

Is it any wonder that real life super heroes often don’t know when to stop? Momentum, desire and passion swirl them into continuous activity,
and enthusiasm can power them to run right out of their own skin.

Ahhh, dear ones, the moment you find yourself tossed up from the oceans tide, as you breathe on the oceans edge, awakened to knowing it’s time to reflect, to breathe, to practice non-doing. It’s okay lovely super hero – it is the byproduct of your being unstoppable.

You’ve managed to master “mind over matter” and go beyond the average.
You’ve got that thing that makes you continue on when others quit,
you no longer yield to the desire to stop and rest a while.
That very force that allows you to be so remarkable is the same voice that calls you to stop
and

unwind, refuel, replenish.

Today I celebrate the real life super heroes who inspire me with their unstoppable momentum and their relentless vigor, they do not yield to
perceived limitations – no, no they continue on.

They inspire us to keep moving forward when we want to give in and surrender. They do not think of themselves as super heroes, as they are merely doing the best they can to live a fulfilling life that benefits themselves and others.They follow their dreams and make this world a better place in their own unique way.

Who are your real life super heroes?
Would they mind, if they knew we gave them this title?

Katie November 10, 2010

Aileen, you are on fire. Super heroes come in all forms. My husband was my super hero yesterday when he decided to make an apple pie, from scratch. Why heroic? Because it was completely outside his comfort zone and capabilities … or so I thought. He’s not a cook, not comfortable in the kitchen but he dove in, determined, contented, proud. It was the best pie I ever tasted, and I’m not saying that because he prepared it so lovingly, it simply was that good – that heroic.
Katie´s last [type] ..A Simple Guide To Remembering Who You Are

Aileen November 10, 2010

“completely outside his comfort zone and capabilities … or so I thought. He’s not a cook, not comfortable in the kitchen but he dove in, determined, con­tented, proud…” What a wonderful Super Hero story! I love this! Thank you for sharing this super hero story :)

Joy November 10, 2010

Amazing..wow..my heart leaps at reading this..
My real life super heroes are every day people who choose to honor their essence and walk their talk..who choseo to open their heart to the day regardless of external circumstances, you choose to inspire me just be being who they are and sharing part of their story through words, expressions, artistic mediums..My real life super heroes would not be comfortable with that title because they don’t feel they are “anything special”, they may realize they impact others, but they may feel they do so as part of a group resource.
My real life super heroes encourage and support me on my journey, and I am full of gratitude for each and every one that stops what they are “doing” to share with me..
Joy´s last [type] ..The Gift…

Aileen November 11, 2010

Joy I love this, ” every day people who choose to honor their essence and walk their talk..who chose to open their heart to the day regardless of external
circumstances, who choose to inspire me just be being who they are and sharing part of their story through words, expressions, artistic mediums.” I salute your real life super heroes!

Joseph Jin November 10, 2010

Your poem makes me think of Elizabeth Gilbert’s TED talk, where she talks about the nature of creative genius: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

People generally find it unseemly for heroes to take 100% personal credit for their heroic deeds. And heroes are often being more sincere than modest when they give credit to other people or invisible forces for their success. Both creativity and heroism seem to have in common this experience of impersonal achievement.

Your poem mentions two aspects of this experience: transcending personal limitations, and feeling propelled forward and guided by a force or momentum which is more or less independent of the personal effort invested by the hero.

My heroes are usually the helpless or clueless kind. They doubt themselves a lot and end up succeeding in spite of themselves. They are not always aware of the difference they make. I’m thinking of one friend who creates the most brilliant simple poetry and artwork which nobody takes seriously because it seems a bit childish. But the words and images keep coming from her, and I don’t think she can stop them if she tried.

I’m also thinking of someone else who works to feed the homeless. She brings them food, but she’s mostly there to play with them. She puts them at ease with almost no effort. They talk with her so easily. I don’t think the word “charity” is in her vocabulary.
Joseph Jin´s last [type] ..A Key to Immortality

Aileen November 11, 2010

Hi Joseph. I really like your real life super heroes, “usually the help less or clueless kind. They doubt themselves a lot and end up su ceeding in spite of
themselves. They are not always aware of the difference they make” Thank you for sharing the stories of your two friends.

Does your friend who creates the poetry have a blog site? Does she make her poetry public?

Joseph Jin November 14, 2010

I’ve only seen her work on paper. She has never mentioned to me about putting her stuff online. I can understand, though. She would probably be scared to death to do so. Sorry I can’t offer more of a sample of her work.
Joseph Jin´s last [type] ..A Key to Immortality

Aileen November 16, 2010

Ahhh, I understand. It can be scary to have one’s personal poetry be made to the public. How wonderful that she shares it with you – and that you appreciate it :)

Angela Artemis November 10, 2010

You’re my super-hero for having the courage to audition for the Nutcracker and get the part!

There are many superheroes around – they may not wear capes, but we know them when we see them and they do inspire us!
Angela Artemis´s last [type] ..7 Simple Steps to Mastering Your Mind

Aileen November 11, 2010

:) thank you Angela. one of your super hero abilities is waking up peoples intuition, and that’s incredible!

Farnoosh November 11, 2010

Aileen, my dear, I read this on my iPhone while heating up a pack for my severe neck pain this morning at 4:30am and it brought me so much comfort – both in dealing iwth the pain and all the very hard projects I set before me for the blog this week. THANK YOU! Well, right now you are one of my heroes! :) But for super hero, Celine Dion….if you ever read her biography, her perseverance and determination along with her countless and insane hours of work and practice will amaze you – they have kept me motivated for a long time! I love that woman – and more so, her husband Rene Angelil, who gambled his home mortgage on her voice………! Greatest love story and success story…..!
Farnoosh´s last [type] ..From Fear to Motivation in 22 Radical Thoughts

Aileen November 11, 2010

Farnoosh, you are a super hero – nothing stops you – you take your Oolong tea and you keep on going.

Lance November 11, 2010

This is so, so good to read. Read…and reflect upon this life I’m living, and the amazing souls who touch my life daily in some way.

And I’m reminded of a special friend – and how she continues to see me in a special light. In that, she encourages me, also, to take bigger steps into what is possible. What a gift that is!!

Aileen, thank you for this, and for this reminder that there are every day super heroes all around…and how wonderful that is!

…and to you…keep wearing your cape…it fits you well…
Lance´s last [type] ..Music For The Soul- Beauty In The World

Aileen November 11, 2010

What a gift that friendship is :) it’s an amazing thing to find ourselves treading on in to what seemed impossible.

You keep wearing your cape too Lance!

Steve-Personal Success Factors November 11, 2010

I would say that my clients I work with in my counseling practice are some of the most courageous people I know. Your post applies perfectly to them, and to each one of us. Our struggles may be relative to others, but they are unique to us. Each and every day, as we choose to take small steps to face them, we become super-heroes :)
Steve-Personal Success Factors´s last [type] ..HOW TO Balance Your Success in 2011

Aileen November 11, 2010

Hi Steve, you are so right, “Each and every day, as we choose to take small steps to face them, we become super-heroes” what a wonderful thing to be reminded of!!!!

The Exception November 11, 2010

Aileen –
Your Nutcracker experience is pretty heroic, yeah?
Love your poem – Super heros take so many different forms – and they are those who simply see that there is no choice. They just do – just follow their hearts – just make it happen.
My daughter is a super hero in many ways – her kindness, compassion, and how she lives these without expectation or second thought… she just does.
Great post…
The Exception´s last [type] ..Pieces of Peace

Aileen November 11, 2010

“They just do — just follow their hearts — just make it happen.” – well said!!!! I wonder, would your daughter see herself as a super hero if you told her? :)
How is her Nutcracker rehearsal going?

Tess The Bold Life November 14, 2010

My mom is my super heroine;) I’m one of 10 kids and she turned 90 on Oct. 31st. She always went the extra mile, had ultimate patience and is full of love. She has 36 grandchildren and I don’t even know how many great grandchildren. Her life has been full of love, visits, candy and flowers for especially the last 10 years as she ages. Thanks for asking.
Tess The Bold Life´s last [type] ..Courage Is A Beautiful Thing

Aileen November 16, 2010

How wonderful you celebrate her as a super heroine! – very deserving :)

John Sherry November 15, 2010

Bravo Aileen for raising a flag to the unsung heroes among us. To me it’s those that work to keep us together, alive and safe; the doctors and nurses, the firemen, the police, coastguards and paramedics. Every day is a life and death one for them which sees them victorious again and again. Our life is safe in their hands. To them I say, thank you, you are never forgotten or taken for granted. Bless you Aileen for inspiring me and giving us all the opportunity to support our super heroes of the world.
John Sherry´s last [type] ..Why I Want Love

Aileen November 16, 2010

John, thank you for adding your real life super heroes! They do face life and death moments everyday and it takes an incredible personal and spiritual strength to live that reality everyday. Thank you for celebrating them!

Zengirl @ Heart and Mind November 16, 2010

We have a true heroes everywhere in our sight. They work through simple tasks and hard tasks in all, making our lives better. Be it parent, school teacher, traffic police, nurses, Us Postal service, repair people, kids who smile at everything and true from heart! Bloggers who inspiring us to be better, teach us something, learning is everywhere.

Thanks for sharing.

Preeti
Zengirl @ Heart and Mind´s last [type] ..Giving Thanks- How Gratitude Can Improve Your Life

Aileen November 16, 2010

Preeti, you are a super hero. and thank you for adding your heroes here for celebration!

James Fulton November 19, 2010

For me real life super heroes are no other than our soldiers who are protecting us…I would like to mention something here “AS THE SOLDIER DIES, SO DOES THE NATION COME ALIVE” They are truly the heroes…Aren’t they?

James