Dance is Like a Box of Chocolates

Finally after years of hard-work, practice and perfecting my pirouettes, the opportunity to audition for a production of the Nutcracker presented itself. It had been a long time dream to dance in the Nutcracker. Thursday night arrived and I would find out if I’d complete this dream.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m in, I’m in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m finally in!

But I’m … a mouse? Hmmm…

Ecstatic, happy, thrilled… then a little disappointed because I found out that the mice scenes would all be modern dance, not ballet.

I know, I know…How ungrateful can a dancer girl be? Really!!!! How dare I feel disappointed when my new friend and I were both cast?! But, I really really wanted to dance in the snow scene, with its gorgeous classical ballet choreography.

Okay, I said it. I admit my moment of non-gratitude. Part of me wanted to run to my favorite chocolate shop and get a huge box of assorted dark chocolate truffles so I could happily wallow in my confused disappointment. It only lasted a brief moment before I began to laugh at myself.

… ahhh, like Forrest Gump once said, “life is like a box of chocolates you never know what you’re gonna get.”

With my attitude in check and renewed enthusiasm, I went to my first rehearsal and discovered it was actually quite fun! One of the aspects of modern dance that I enjoy is how free and unstructured it is. It’s creative, playful and yet physically challenging at the same time.

I’m not sure what I was expecting from the audition results. I thought it would be a simple “Yes you’re in”, or “No you’re not” …and “in” would mean ballet. It never dawned on me that I would be accepted into the Nutcracker but dance modern.

It reminds me of how many times over the years I’ve tried to plan life and it always had it’s own version for me, one that was very different from every scenario that I played out in my mind. Ahhh, life is just full of twists and surprises, isn’t it?

So rather than devour the entire box of chocolates and regret it later, I’ve decided to savor each one, explore the possibilities and appreciate the outcome!

What’s been in your box of chocolates? What interesting twists has life given you?

Louise September 20, 2010

What a lovely post! It brought me back many, many years ago – who will I marry (nothing to do with dancing but…) it was the one I least expected! Life certainly was good!! You just never know what is in store with so many possibilities in life. I know you will enjoy the modern dance as a “lovely mouse” in the Nutcracker.

Aileen September 20, 2010

ahhh, yes! “You just never know what is in store with so many pos­si­bil­i­ties in life” It’s really amazing to experience the surprises that come our way. I’m glad you were guided to marry the right one! That can be a great inspiration to many who feel ‘the one got away’ – maybe that’s not so :)

The Exception September 20, 2010

My daughter came home Saturday to inform me she is a candy cane this year. She was upset. As I spoke with her more, I realized that they have reworked the scene, there appear to be just four dancers, and it is something that we choreographed just for the 4… and I was excited. She isn’t so sure about it still, but she is excited more than not. It just took her seeing it form another perspective and seeing the reality of what it is now compared to what it was before.

I am thrilled for you that you will be in the show… and the dancers I know love being mice for the reasons you state – it is more free and less structured. It is a fun part.

Congratulations.
The Exception´s last [type] ..Beauty

Aileen September 20, 2010

great words of wisdom, “It just took her see­ing it form another per­spec­tive and see­ing the real­ity of what it is now com­pared to what it was before”

I hope this will be one of her favorite performances!!!!

Belinda Munoz + The Halfway Point September 20, 2010

Yay, Aileen! Congratulations! I can relate to the feeling of disappointment since it’s not exactly your perfect vision. Love your attitude about this turn of events. You still get to share your talents and there’s always a next time, right?

Aileen September 21, 2010

Absolutely Belinda!! yes, there is always next time and new surprises life will share.
thank you for your lovely response :)

Preeti @ Heart and Mind September 20, 2010

Congratulations!! It must be a dream to be cast (even as a mouse) in a world famous Nutcracker! I am sorry that mouse scenes would be not a ballet as you love to dance.

Just think of it as a blog, I am sure when you started no visitors knew you right? Maybe next season you will move up to be Clara, the heroine herself!

If you were nearby, I would have come to see you dance even as a costume mouse! If you can youtube it, it will be cool for many of us.
Preeti @ Heart and Mind´s last [type] ..Top 10 reasons why I am not on Twitter

Aileen September 21, 2010

Thank you Preeti!! What a beautiful thought and response :) I’m not sure that I’d dare youtube, people can be rather cruel and mean with their words. I may however place a less public video maybe here or facebook
Thank you for your sincere and encouraging words my friend.

John Sherry September 21, 2010

Bravo! Bravo! I’m just anticipating the audiences reaction after your stunning first night performance Aileen. So very well done for dusting off the tutu to take to the stage. You are a winner!

I really do love what you said at the end as it’s so very true that you “tried to plan life but it has it’s own version for me”. I recognise that. And that’s my box of chocolates really. I’ve always tried to 2nd guess life and be one step ahead mainly because I’m trying to work out what’s ‘likely’ to happen. But you can’t as you never will. So I’ve decided just to put ‘me’ into life and make it ‘me’morable by letting what’s meant take it’s course. Yes, when I feel it’s appropriate to take the reins I will, but for now I’m going to see what’s in store and take in the scenery far more. And, as I do I’m going to munch my chocs in the front row of The Nutcracker. Since I’ve heard there’s an unsung star about to make her bow!!
John Sherry´s last [type] ..7 Positive Ways To Mend A Broken Heart

Aileen September 21, 2010

Brilliant John, “So I’ve decided just to put ‘me’ into life and make it ‘me’morable by let­ting what’s meant take it’s course. Yes, when I feel it’s appro­pri­ate to take the reins I will, but for now I’m going to see what’s in store and take in the scenery far more.” Now that’s the art of balance between allowing things to happen and making things happen. I give you an A++ in the art of living!

Thank you for encouraging words and wisdom.

Tess The Bold Life September 21, 2010

I give you a lot of credit for trying out! In my box of chocolates. I’m running a 1/2 marathon in December.

Aileen September 23, 2010

Tess, that is very exciting!!! I will be cheering you on!!!

Jean Sarauer September 21, 2010

Well, congrats on being in the production even if it wasn’t in the way you had planned! I know what those twists and turns are like. Pretty much nothing in my life right now is going as I’d planned :) I think I have a whole chocolate factory on my hands. Really though, it’s all fine when I just get out of freak out mode and back to reality. And eat one perfect chocolate at a time!
Jean Sarauer´s last [type] ..Here’s to the Rebel Bloggers

Aileen September 23, 2010

Jean, I am completely with you on this, “Really though, it’s all fine when I just get out of freak out mode and back to real­ity. And eat one per­fect choco­late at a time!”
You really are a master juggler even when life throws more balls at you – more than the ones you were planning on juggling.
Your attitude towards life as it unfolds, is fantastic!!

Farnoosh September 22, 2010

Thrilled for you and not one bit surprised, Aileen. The perseverance you have here must have shown through in your audition. Congratulations and be sure to post photos for us at some point – and of course, enjoy the music and moving to it in your dance.
Farnoosh´s last [type] ..Self-discoveries from Watching Films and the Best of TIFF10

Aileen September 23, 2010

Thank you Farnoosh!!!!!! I will share photos :)

Keith September 22, 2010

I greatly admire your openness in this post. We have all experienced moments of ungratefulness, but the cool thing is that you recognized it quickly and fixed it! That is certainly Kaizen-like, right? :-)

Congratulations on your successful audition!!

By the way, love your blog!

Aileen September 23, 2010

Hi Keith, thank you for stopping by and thanks for your wonderful comment. yes it is kaizen-like :) thank you for pointing that out!!

emily September 23, 2010

My life seems to take me down paths I never thought I’d walk, open opportunities I never knew existed, and challenges me to let go of thoughts, ideals, even friendships and allow new ones to prosper. I thought I bought the box of milk chocolates with carmel on the inside but it turns out my box of chocolates is indeed varied, unknown and new..sometimes I don’t like the filling but that is indeed life. We can not live in our head and we need to be humble and grateful for what the great spirit has in store for us. Congratulations on both your open heart/mind and your part in the Nutcracker. That twist of ballet into modern is wonderful and the freedom to choose to accept it is beautiful. Hope you have much success and dance brilliantly. Thank you for sharing your honesty.

Aileen September 25, 2010

Oh I love how you said it, “I thought I bought the box of milk choco­lates with caramel on the inside but it turns out my box of choco­lates is indeed var­ied, unknown and new..sometimes I don’t like the fill­ing but that is indeed life.”
and yes, “to be humble and grateful for what the great spirit has in store for us.” so very, very true.