Some days are just more challenging than others. I’ve been in career transition for several months now and there are days I feel like I’m hopping around looking for my ideal lily pad. Lately I have been dreaming about a paradise I visited in Hawaii three years ago when I earned a company paid vacation at a most amazing 5 diamond resort. Those were days of spa and luxury. Ahhhh ….But now it all feels so far away.
So last night I happily lounged in bed with a glass of wine, dark chocolate covered almonds and my current favorite nightly read, “The Perfect Power Within You.” I was listening to the wind-chimes outside. …The candles were lit and I was in heaven!
I don’t always take a glass of wine and chocolates to bed, but I was really craving a feeling of divine luxury and at that moment, I had found my version of it.
We all have some part inside of us that craves a feeling of luxury sometimes. It doesn’t matter if we are male or female, old or young, wealthy or financially challenged. We may have different ideas of what luxury is, but how wonderful is it when we allow ourselves to indulge for a moment.
Although luxury is different for everyone, here’s the definition from Merriam-Webster:
• a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort : sumptuous environment
• something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary
• an indulgence in something that provides pleasure, satisfaction, or ease
With my current budget, I’m not really able be to wisk myself away to a luxurious retreat right now, but I can create one at home.
Life’s little luxuries that make me feel fabulous:
- Melt – Dim the lights and sink into a warm scented bubble bath surrounded by a few candles while listening to your favorite atmospheric music.
- Indulge – Have a glass of your favorite red wine or a cup of soothing chamomile tea with dark chocolates and strawberries for a flavor celebration.
- Caress – Moisturize your skin with some organic jojoba mixed with a lovely scented oil, such as sandalwood or rose to calm your spirits.
- Relax – Break out your best and softest sheets, and relax on your most comfortable pillows for a night of tranquility.
- Listen – Open the windows, hang wind chimes and let the window sheers blow in the breeze as you listen to the twinkling sounds dancing in the wind
- Refresh – Place fresh flowers in various places throughout your home. Flowers can awaken your senses, rejuvenate you, put a spring in your step and make you a smile.
- Stretch – Enliven your muscles, revive you body and feel renewed with some simple stretches or Yoga at home.
- Inspire – Hand write your favorite words of wisdom on index cards or post-it notes and place these powerful phrases in random spots around your home, the best ones are the ones you discover after you’ve long forgotten that you placed them there. My Mr. G enjoyed the one he found in the mail box today. “Wonderful new opportunities await me”
- Polish – Stop in at the nail salon for a manicure and pedicure or give yourself one at home.
- Sparkle – Glam it up and have fun styling your hair and makeup or get a free mini makeover at Sephora.
- Bedazzle – Break out your fabulous dress, put on those sassy shoes and top it off with your favorite perfume! Feel like a diva!
- Enjoy – Now that you’re all dolled up, meet up with some friends at a divinely atmospheric restaurant for an appetizer, cocktail and great conversation.
To change the atmosphere with sound and music, Pandora.com is amazing. For a relaxing journey, when you log on to Pandora and see “create a station” type in Snatam Kaurand press enter. It won’t disappoint!
For inspirations and affirmations, I love Louise Hay’s Power Thought Cards
As I contemplate my favorite little luxuries, the ones that are between low cost and free, I wonder what your favorite affordable luxuries are. What gives you a feeling of bliss?