12 Low Cost Luxuries …Indulge Your Senses

candle lit bath with glass of wine

Some days are just more challenging than others. I’ve been in career transition for several months now and there are days I feel like I’m hopping around looking for my ideal lily pad. Lately I have been dreaming about a paradise I visited in Hawaii three years ago when I earned a company paid vacation at a most amazing 5 diamond resort. Those were days of spa and luxury. Ahhhh ….But now it all feels so far away.

So last night I happily lounged in bed with a glass of wine, dark chocolate covered almonds and my current favorite nightly read, “The Perfect Power Within You.” I was listening to the wind-chimes outside.  …The candles were lit and I was in heaven!

I don’t always take a glass of wine and chocolates to bed, but I was really craving a feeling of divine luxury and at that moment, I had found my version of it.

We all have some part inside of us that craves a feeling of luxury sometimes. It doesn’t matter if we are male or female, old or young, wealthy or financially challenged. We may have different ideas of what luxury is, but how wonderful is it when we allow ourselves to indulge for a moment.

Although luxury is different for everyone, here’s the definition from Merriam-Webster:

•  a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort : sumptuous environment

• something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary

• an indulgence in something that provides pleasure, satisfaction, or ease

With my current budget, I’m not really able be to wisk myself away to a luxurious retreat right now, but I can create one at home.

Life’s little luxuries that make me feel fabulous:

Evening Indulgence

• Melt – Dim the lights and sink into a warm scented bubble bath surrounded by a few candles while listening to your favorite atmospheric music.
  • Indulge – Have a glass of your favorite red wine or a cup of soothing chamomile tea with dark chocolates and strawberries for a flavor celebration.
  • Caress – Moisturize your skin with some organic jojoba mixed with a lovely scented oil, such as sandalwood or rose to calm your spirits.
  • Relax – Break out your best and softest sheets, and relax on your most comfortable pillows for a night of tranquility.

Home Sanctuary

• Listen - Open the windows, hang wind chimes and let the window sheers blow in the breeze as you listen to the twinkling sounds dancing in the wind
  • Refresh – Place fresh flowers in various places throughout your home.  Flowers can awaken your senses, rejuvenate you, put a spring in your step and make you a smile.
  • Stretch – Enliven your muscles, revive you body and feel renewed with some simple stretches or Yoga at home.
  • Inspire – Hand write your favorite words of wisdom on index cards or post-it notes and place these powerful phrases in random spots around your home, the best ones are the ones you discover after you’ve long forgotten that you placed them there.  My Mr. G enjoyed the one he found in the mail box today.Wonderful new opportunities await me”

Glamour

• Polish – Stop in at the nail salon for a manicure and pedicure or give yourself one at home.
  • Sparkle – Glam it up and have fun styling your hair and makeup or get a free mini makeover at Sephora.
  • Bedazzle – Break out your fabulous dress, put on those sassy shoes and top it off with your favorite perfume! Feel like a diva!
  • Enjoy – Now that you’re all dolled up, meet up with some friends at a divinely atmospheric restaurant for an appetizer, cocktail and great conversation.

Resources:

To enjoy great stretches or Yoga at home, Yogadownload.com is phenomenal!  A very special thank you to Farnoosh of Prolific Living for this great find!

To change the atmosphere with sound and music, Pandora.com is amazing. For a relaxing journey, when you log on to Pandora and see “create a station” type in Snatam Kaurand press enter. It won’t disappoint!

For inspirations and affirmations, I love Louise Hay’s  Power Thought Cards

As I contemplate my favorite little luxuries, the ones that are between low cost and free, I wonder what your favorite affordable luxuries are. What gives you a feeling of bliss?

Farnoosh September 23, 2010

Dear Aileen, I am so happy you are enjoying Yogadownload.com – you need to push me back into my yoga routine. Traveling makes it so difficult! I am in Asia now and have stretched only once this week! It’s embarrassing but I am blaming jet lag ;)! A seriously great set of tips for making luxury accessible to everyone. Very smart!
Farnoosh´s last [type] ..Self-discoveries from Watching Films and the Best of TIFF10

Aileen September 23, 2010

I hope you have a truly wonderful travel experience!! – travel can shake up even our favorite routines, but you’re body might just start moving into stretch without thinking about it – spontaneous yoga :)

I’m really am over the moon having learned about yogadownload.com – it has really made me feel great about yoga at home. I love it, love it love it!!!!

Jean Sarauer September 23, 2010

What a lovely post, Aileen. Luxury doesn’t have to break the bank and it makes us feel soooo good! Thanks for reminding me that I need to add a little more luxury to my daily life!
Jean Sarauer´s last [type] ..7 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Let Awesome Blogs Keep You From Achieving Stardom

Aileen September 23, 2010

life’s little luxuries can really make a world of difference. – guilt free when they are free or inexpensive and rejuvenating to the mind, body and soul. Maybe when your Dad is all settled in you’ll have a bit more time to celebrate little luxuries. … maybe you can have a celebrate Jean week.

emily September 23, 2010

It has been awhile since I had a moment to visit my favorite site..I have to say 10minutes on Kaizen vision with my favorite music on pandora.com (I personally love Snatam Kaur) just feels wonderful. I have to be honest as I read your post I took notes and can’t wait to check out the thought cards, spa music & yoga down loads. Thank you for your thoughts and always your inspiration. If you never typed Snatam Kaur in pandora try her music I think she is lovely. : )

emily September 23, 2010

ummmm, I typed spa into my new radio station and got techno?? I must have done something wrong. there seems to be many relaxation stations..not sure which to try. I will sample and post if I find something yummy. : )

Angela Artemis September 24, 2010

Oh how I crave the time to have a lovely spa evening at home! Wine and chocolates in bed – how decadently delicious! We do need to take better care of ourselves and give in to our need to be pampered once in a while! Thank you for giving me so many great ways to do it!
Angela Artemis´s last [type] ..Always Keep Your Dreams Alive

Aileen September 25, 2010

My wish for you today is complete abundance – so you may have the time and resources to just indulge!

Clearly Composed September 24, 2010

Even the word is decadent and inviting…luxury. It just feels like fur rubbing on your cheek. I recently had a chance to do some all out glamor girl stuff and it is amazing how a little pampering and all out focus on enjoying being a girl can make you feel like a million bucks. I love all your suggestions and am a fan of yogadownload too! :)
Clearly Composed´s last [type] .. Creating a Haven

Aileen September 25, 2010

I’m thrilled to hear you had a glamor girl day! It really amazing how it can instantly make us feel like a million bucks. It truly does have a magic in it. :)

Adena Atkins September 25, 2010

Dear Aileen,

This is a wonderful list! I once saw a random discovery channel episode in which it was documented that humans and monkeys both heal from trauma through grooming! With the monkeys, they combed through each other’s fur, with the humans, they painted each other’s toenails. I can’t remember the source, but it was fun to watch and validating.

While just reading your luxurious suggestions feels nourishing, what I really got from this post is a renewed appreciation for the word “luxury”. It can get such a bad rap, but the definitions you gave helped remove the stigma for me.

Thanks!
Adena Atkins´s last [type] ..Consider Not Having Children

Aileen September 26, 2010

Adena, I had to laugh when I read that, about healing through grooming, that is too funny! Thank you for sharing that!
Luxury really can get a bad rap – I’m glad you have a renewed appreciation for the word luxury!!

Lance September 25, 2010

A glass of wine is a special indulgence that most definitely touches my senses in a special way…and just really makes for a wonderful evening.

And – thanks for sharing yogadownload!! I’m off to check it out – as I’ve just started taking a yoga class!!
Lance´s last [type] ..Apples And Pies And Barbara Oh My!

Aileen September 26, 2010

Oh I hope you love yogadownload!! It really helped me appreciate doing yoga at home when I downsized my budget. I’m ever grateful for Farnoosh for sharing it with me.

Prerna September 25, 2010

Hi Aileen, found your blog via Britetalk and I love it! Thanks for sharing this lovely list of simple luxuries. I look forward to exploring yogadownload.com. Thanks again! Warmly, Prerna
Prerna´s last [type] ..The Simple Joys of Co-Sleeping and Family Beds

Aileen September 26, 2010

Hi Prerna, Thank you for stopping in! Britetalk is a great site.
I hope you have fun with yogadownload.com!!!!

John Sherry September 26, 2010

Fab stuff Aileen, chocolate, wine, music and a warm bath sounds idyllic. Luxury doesn’t have to be opulent merely a major personal treat which can be done at home as yours was. A great reminder that we all have the power to luxuriate without the price tag. Now, where’s that wine and box of Milk Tray? Ooh, I feel five star already!
John Sherry´s last [type] ..Don’t Take Yourself So Seriously

Aileen September 26, 2010

“Ooh, I feel five star already!” :) perhaps luxury will find you all week, all month or maybe all year!!!

Andrea DeBell - britetalk September 26, 2010

Hi Aileen! Such a delicious post. Just by reading it I felt sublime.

My favorite indulgence is to get a massage and then have some warm tea while enveloped a soft terry robe with some dark chocolate and a good read by my side. It’s still a bit too hot right now for this routine but I’m looking forward to it.

Thanks for such lovely suggestions. Loving blessings!
Andrea DeBell – britetalk´s last [type] ..How to Shamelessly Love Your Bank Balance

Aileen September 26, 2010

Oh that sounds divine!! Thank you for sharing your favorite indulgence Andrea! I feel that you will have a wonderful fall and winter with this :)

Tess The Bold Life September 26, 2010

These are all wonderful ideas and I’m checking out the websites you suggest. I think these are all self-nurturing as well. You had me in a spa as I read!
Tess The Bold Life´s last [type] ..Patrick Henry Hughes &amp 100 Healings- Simon Hay

Aileen September 26, 2010

Oh YAY! You felt spa!! I hope that divine feeling stays with you all day … and longer!

Mark September 27, 2010

This is a very important post!! With so many people who had a change in there state of finances it is very important to remember how to indulge ourselves in our own environment. Now I off to indulge, just a little …
Mark´s last [type] ..Energy Transference Through Food

Aileen September 28, 2010

I agree with you Mark. It’s a bit easier to have fun with frugality when money is flowing and it feels like a choice, but when we are frugal out of necessity it can feel more like deprivation and stress. When money is tight (as it is for me these day and it is lots of people) it’s important to really make a game out of it, make it fun and still have it feel like a choice.

I hope you have a lovely time indulging!! :)

Joy September 28, 2010

I’m going to check out yogadownload.com..thank you for the tip!
As far as luxury, I live on a boat so space is limited..I surround myself with my favorite treasures–a scented candle, music that I love, a few fresh flowers…I find that the little things really do make my ehart very happy. When I would like to indulge in something delicious, then I splurge on one fine truffle, or a good cheese, or spectacular red wine..just a little taste of decadent is all I need..
I remind myself that I may not have the ‘luxury’ of spa days at the local 5 star spa, but I now have the luxury of sleeping under the moonbeams, rising to the glorious sunset, feeding the ducks..of utter peace and joy..Luxurious indeed:)
Joy´s last [type] ..Fearless Fun Friday- Say Hey I Love You

Aileen September 28, 2010

How truly unique, you live on a boat! I love the sound of that!! Oh to sleep under the moonbeams and have the sunset over the water – truly divine!

I do love the way you choose to indulge, “I splurge on one fine truffle, or a good cheese, or spectacular red wine..just a lit tle taste of decadent is all I need”