The Legendary John Wooden Series: Enthusiasm and Industriousness

“If you don’t like what you’re doing there’s no way you can come close to your own particular level of competency”
– John Wooden

Enthusiasm

I love enthusiasm! I wrote a bit about it on What Would Love Do? Enthusiasm fuels me and sends me places I’d never reach with normal levels of energy and expectations. It’s the very thing that blinds us to obstacles and hurls us over them. It lets us run beyond our own limits without us feeling the pain of our feet pounding the pavement, and our invisible wings come out from nowhere and lift us higher.

Enthusiasm is one of the two corner stones of Coach Wooden’s Pyramid of Success. It’s an integral part of the foundation to success. “Without enthusiasm, you cannot work up to your fullest ability and potential; you’re just going through the motions. And just going through the motions won’t bring you to the level of competitive greatness we seek, whether in basketball, business or life.”

But there are times when enthusiasm wears thin and fatigue sets in just enough to have us feel how hard it really is. At this moment, we need our industriousness to kick in.

Industriousness

“There is no substitute for work. Worthwhile things come from hard work and careful planning,” – John Wooden

Ahh, I can physically feel it in my body, I know why Coach Wooden has industriousness as the other corner stone to his pyramid.

Industriousness is achieving personal greatness through practice and hard work. I hear a lot about hard work being the old way of doing things. Nowadays, it’s all about working smart not hard and it’s implied that only the dumb believe in hard work. I did try to emulate the work smart not hard for a while before I realized that sometimes working smart includes some serious hard work.

There is a beauty to the moments when we push ourselves beyond our comfort limits and we call upon our discipline to get us through when every fiber in our being wants to quit. The definition of hard work is different for everyone, but we all know it and we’ve all felt it.

Do what it takes to activate your own industriousness. The funny thing is, no one will see it but you. They will only see the result of your persistent efforts, which just might appear to be effortless.

Enthusiasm keep us light on our feet and energized. Industriousness keeps our mind clear and gives us a laser focus. When we combine enthusiasm and industriousness, we get a wining combination and we become unstoppable.

“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.” – John Wooden

Katie August 17, 2010

Aileen, loving post. Enthusiasm is such a wonderful kind of positive energy. I love the word. Like you say, the efforts of industriousness are often invisible and simply appear to others as magic, effortless enthusiasm. I think that’s so we all don’t give up.
Katie´s last [type] ..A Simple Guide to Living Life with Wild Abandon

Aileen August 18, 2010

oh great point!!! Yes if we did see the efforts others put in we might just give up or run in the other direction. There is something encouraging about watching something appear effortless

Preeti @ Heart and Mind August 17, 2010

Alieen,

Without Enthusiasm, any work we will do, we will not put heart in it and it will not half backed effort. Planning and hard work surely helps that enthusiasm to fruition! I am liking these series.
Preeti @ Heart and Mind´s last [type] ..Enlightment- An Awareness and Understanding

Aileen August 18, 2010

Thank you for adding your thoughts Preeti

Louise August 17, 2010

Yes, enthusiasm – sometimes we have more of it than at other times but it can bring us to wondrous heights. Thanks for this post.

Aileen August 18, 2010

Indeed, sometimes we have more than other times. – but we can find ways back into it again :)

Tess The Bold Life August 17, 2010

I agree with you and John on the “hard work” working smart is about working hard and those that are wise enough to do that will for sure succeed. Do people think Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Oprah and even artists, musicians…Justin Beieber, Dolly Parton, Paula Deen etc don’t work hard?

And enthusiasm along with it…sound like a dream come true!

Aileen August 18, 2010

Great insight Tess, thank you for sharing that! Yes they definitely work hard :)

Andre August 18, 2010

Hard work is never characterized with enthusiasm but with perseverance. It takes persistence to keep going when industriousness and enthusiasm fail. I have seen very few people get enthusiastic about hard work but I have seen them get excited when the job is almost finished.
I think a key point would be to keep the end in mind and the rewards that await.
Andre´s last [type] ..Comment on You Control Your Destiny Part 1 by admin

Aileen August 18, 2010

Yes perseverance is what keeps us moving when enthusiasm fades. One of the beautiful aspects about enthusiasm is we don’t feel the work being hard during those moments.

Keeping the end in mind and visualizing it do help immeasurably, thank you for adding that

jonathanfigaro August 18, 2010

Enthusiasm is the key to success. Any work placed behind excitement brings success into the light. It brings awestruck performances, longevity in the activity and the happiness necessary to create the state of mind prepared for any criticism the artist might receive from those who like to throw hate on a person triumph.

With enthusiasm all great things are created.Without it, you fall apart and ideas die quickly. That is why get rich quick schemes never work. Your backed by greed. But individuals who work from the heart like ( you and me), we will see more fruits from our labor.

Why?

Our heart is in the activity and we are enthused about the work we have in front of us.

Blogging and marketing is work. Hard work. But when you love it. It’s not work at all, its really fun. ( that why this post is so long..lol) I love it!

Aileen August 18, 2010

I like you view point, “But when you love it. It’s not work at all” thank you for your thoughtful comment

Farnoosh ~ Prolific Living August 18, 2010

Aileen, I was in a workshop when the teacher said “No one can motivate you – you only motivate yourself. You can draw inspiration from others but motivation comes from within.” – Enthusiasm and Motivation are almost similar concepts to me but I am sure dictionary.com will prove me wrong ;)! I don’t know whether I fully believe the quote or not but it seems to be true for my hubby – I could not for the life of me motivate him to get in shape until HE started to motivate himself….Great topic to explore :) thank you for the tips!
Farnoosh ~ Prolific Living´s last [type] ..The Soundtrack of Your Life- Living with Music

Aileen August 18, 2010

It is true, when we set our to motivate someone to action – ultimately it must come from with in them. It can be a huge challenge to witnness someone being with out motivation, up until the day comes that it clicks inside of them

I do love the quote!!

Jean Sarauer August 19, 2010

Enthusiasm comes so naturally to me . . . I confess that I must work at industriousness a bit. I can be so enthusiastic over a writing project when it’s in the initial draft stage. Then, when I need to get down to the work of revising, enthusiasm usually goes out for a hike and I have to coax industriousness off the couch to finish the job.
Jean Sarauer´s last [type] ..How to Get More Bang for Your Membership Buck

Aileen August 23, 2010

Brilliantly stated Jean! Yes, enthusiasm does disappear at times … for a hike… and we are left to find other sources to move us.

The Exception August 19, 2010

Enthusiasm can keep us going or it can be the spark that lights our fire. We need it to catch us when we want to stop as it can always be the feeling we turn to when the going gets tough. My daughter is a student of Russian Ballet – She loves it and is dedicated – she has the enthusiasm though sometimes it is putting in the effort that is difficult. The enthusiasm for the art keeps her motivated and returning – her desire to live her dream will keep her working hard to learn and improve.
I am enjoying this series!

Aileen August 23, 2010

How divine that she loves ballet. It’s one of my passions too :)
I love how you describe the pushing through when enthusiasm wears thin “The enthusiasm for the art keeps her moti vated and returning — her desire to live her dream will keep her working hard to learn and improve.”

Clearly Composed August 22, 2010

It’s the enthusiasm and passion that the Universe responds to and supports. When you raise your personal energy level with enthusiasm and gusto life meets you where you are at and amazing things become possible. I am so digging this series! Many thanks. :)
Clearly Composed´s last [type] .. Balance In Action

Aileen August 23, 2010

Hi Emma, I’m glad you like this series! You encapsulated this concept so brilliantly, “When you raise your personal energy level with enthusiasm and gusto life meets you where you are at and amazing things become possible” Funny how we often try to make things happen with all kinds of muscle and the magic really happens when we blissfully raise our energy levels, add some muscle and let life collide with us.

Keith Davis August 22, 2010

Hi Aileen
Enthusiasm and Indus­tri­ous­ness sounds like a winning combination to me.
In the world of Public Speaking enthusiasm is everything… it lifts the audience and they take a little of it home with them.

Industriousness AKA hard work is a no brainer. If you care about what you are doing you will you will work hard at it.
Keith Davis´s last [type] ..Two way traffic

Aileen August 23, 2010

Hi Keith, thank you for your comment. – I like how you apply enthusiasm to public speaking – very true!! – and the audience wants the speaker to do just that, take them on a ride.

Hard work is a funny thing in that like you say, it doesn’t feel like hard work when you really care and get into it.

新着 トートバッグ 格安通販 May 23, 2014

I am curious to find out what blog system you are using?
I’m having some minor security problems with my latest website and I would like to
find something more risk-free. Do you have any recommendations?
新着 トートバッグ 格安通販´s last [type] ..新着 トートバッグ 格安通販

Nike Blazer August 21, 2014

I leave a comment each time I like a post on a
blog or if I have something to contribute to the conversation.
It’s caused by the passion communicated in the article I
read. And on this article The Legendary John Wooden Series:
Enthusiasm and Industriousness | Kaizen Vision. I was excited enough to drop a leave a responsea response :
-) I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay.
Is it just me or does it appear like a few of the comments look as
if they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at
additional online sites, I’d like to keep up with everything
fresh you have to post. Could you make a list the complete urls of your communal sites like your Facebook page,
twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
Nike Blazer´s last [type] ..Nike Blazer