How To Get The Most Out Of Your Summer

Setting sun

Monday I packed up some lettuce wraps and fruit. G and I had a picnic dinner on the beach. Three dolphins surprised us by playing in the surf. I had never seen that before. They were so close. It was amazing. The sun set so beautifully and we were in heaven.

There have been a handful of years that summer came and went and I didn’t realize it until Christmas. Last year I decided to put an end to that behavior. I was determined to experience summer and I’m so glad I did.

We all tend to have busy lifestyles and often live on adrenaline. Part of this is necessary as we take care of all that needs to be taken care of, but a larger part of it is habit.

Yes, busyness is a habit and can become an addiction. It might not feel like it hurts you now, but it hurts those around you and it will hurt you if it goes on too long.

A good friend might help you slow down, maybe help you see what doesn’t need to get done or help you organize your time. Often it means letting go of some commitments or giving them less time.

If your mind is too frazzled to think about how to do summer simply and cheaply, here are a few suggestions:

The Beach, Lake or Pond – If it’s in driving distance then go! It doesn’t have to be an all day affair. Maybe you’re there just for sunrise and coffee. Maybe you’re there for a lunch time siesta, or maybe just an evening picnic like me and G.

The Park – There are often movies in the park, concerts in the park, and yes even playing in the park. It’s a great place to stroll, jog, and breathe in summer. Peek online and see what’s happening at a park near you or better yet, just go to the park and discover what fun things you could be missing out on.

The Pool – If you don’t have one nearby, maybe a friend does. Being in or around a pool is a great way to feel summer especially with friends and a BBQ.

A Hike – There are a variety of hiking opportunities even ones that feel like you’re just walking. No intense hills. Just easy. It’s a quick way to get away from it all and get the juices flowing. Take a friend and take a hike.

The TripGo Camping or take a day trip that’s within a two hour drive. It’s a frugal way to vacation and a great way to create new experiences. Even bad experiences make for great stories.

Summer is passing quickly, so get out there catch it then slow down just a bit and take in the experience. Share it with another and make lasting memories.

Share your favorite summer fun. What have been your favorite summer moments over the years?

Antonia July 15, 2010

Aileen–this post made me giggle because I’m literally NOT experiencing summer….I’m in Australia so it’s winter :) But you know what? I’ve spent way too many summers indoors crouched over my laptop, so this was a great wake-up call. I’m going to take advantage of these rainy days to practice more efficient working habits so that when summer comes around, I’ll be ready to crack out the lettuce wraps and head to the pool.
Antonia´s last [type] ..28 nomadic families who travel with kids- Part 3 of 4

Aileen July 15, 2010

HA! I was actually thinking about Australia and New Zealand when I was deciding on the title – your summer is our winter.

ashok July 15, 2010

Stumbled, bookmarked: your post is a good reminder of not letting the opportunity that is summer pass by. Right now I’m a bit in “busy” mode – as you noted, I want the blog to take off. But there are things I’m doing that are definitely pure summer: walking a heck of a lot more; taking time to call friends more; and very, very leisurely reading at a a pace I like.
ashok´s last [type] ..Emily Dickinson- “It is an honorable Thought” 946

Aileen July 15, 2010

It can be a crazy challenge when your on a mission like building your blog – to still slow down enough to take in life. Keep going!!! :)

ashok July 15, 2010

I agree: the stress is more because you’re always thinking more can be done, and there’s rarely an accompanying physical exhaustion. I think I’m gonna go for a walk now, and let my blog find its own way for a short while.
ashok´s last [type] ..Jane Kenyon- “The Blue Bowl”

Aileen July 15, 2010

I love that, “I’m gonna go for a walk now, and let my blog find its own way for a short while.” & you’re blog is doing well, it can have a momentum while you walk . Thank you for your comments :)

Mark July 15, 2010

Great suggestions that anyone can use to slow down and enjoy the Summer! We tend to be too busy and we miss so much. There is almost nothing that we have on our plate that won’t wait, however time will continue to march right on and we will miss the warmth of a Summer day if we are not aware and slow down.
Mark´s last [type] ..What Are You Chasing After

Aileen July 15, 2010

Thanks for sharing that thought Mark – yes, much can wait while we take a moment to take it all in

Jean Sarauer July 15, 2010

I’ve really been cramming in the work because of a lot of converging deadlines so the last couple of weeks I’ve been waaaay off my summer track. Things are getting back to normal now, thank goodness. I still have plenty to do, but I’m at the point where I can have some ‘do nothing’ time by the water again. Whew :)
Jean Sarauer´s last [type] ..How to Avoid Blog Plateaus and Grow Your Blog Infinitely

Aileen July 15, 2010

oh that mysterious, elusive thing called balance. Glad to hear you have a moment to be by the water again!

Angela Artemis July 16, 2010

What a great topic! You know I was just thinking that I haven’t yet enjoyed the summer – but that it’s half over!

This happens to me every year. Slowing down and living each day is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves.

Thank you for reading my mind -yet again!

Aileen July 19, 2010

“Slow­ing down and liv­ing each day is one of the most impor­tant things we can do for ourselves.” so very, very true! It can be a challenge with so many wonderful projects :)

THe Exception July 16, 2010

Aileen – This is so true. We are a busy society!
Summer here is hot and sticky – especially this year. I have been known to try and “survive” while I wait for the cooler weather of fall, but in the past few years… I have found ways of enjoying it. I love the farmer’s markets with the fresh fruit – only here in summer… or lazy afternoons at the pool with my daughter… and evening runs before the sun sets but after its heat is gone…
Have a wonderful weekend enjoying summer.

Aileen July 19, 2010

Great to hear you’re finding ways to enjoy it!! Longer days for an evening run is truly wonderful! Farmers Markets, love them! Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your comment.

Preeti @ Heart and Mind July 16, 2010

This is a good list to remember and live in the moment and enjoy today. We have done all of it, except going to pool this summer, despite doing no spend month, all of it can be done, free or cheaply and loads of fun.

Great reminder. Thank you and hope you enjoy more of it.

Aileen July 19, 2010

I do love your no spend month, it’s a great way to be mindful about spending, makes us become more resourceful and allows more dollars saved for when it’s needed. I’m glad you’re enjoying summer!!!

Preeti @ Heart and Mind July 19, 2010

Thank you but I think it is crazy to show to world in a blog where I possibly could fail but hey, that what keeps me check and honest. I want to stay home with kids so little price I have to pay being frugal, I think it is well worth it. So, you do it too like zero spending? I had be curious to know more about your tips and suggestions.
Preeti @ Heart and Mind´s last [type] ..10 Life lessons that I wished I had learned earlier – Part 2

Aileen July 19, 2010

Pretti, here’s The link to post for Zero Dollar Days It’s always fun to share ideas and different ways of saving. It’s a fun tough challenge!

kimmie July 17, 2010

I LOVE Florida! We are having a blast….most of the time ;) We all definately learn something new everyday.

John Sherry July 18, 2010

Spot on Aileen that “busyness is a habit” and a nasty one at that!! I’ve had 10 days by the sea already in hot, sunny weather and it was fab. I’m also heading off to the States in late August for more fun in sun. But we can all enjoy our locale in summertime and I like nothing better than a stroll around fields and woods near my house, lounging in the garden with an inspiring book and bbq’s or meals afresco with friends. Summer needs no far flung places just nearby enjoyment. Summer is summer, a season with no reason.
John Sherry´s last [type] ..Do You Have Human Golf Ball Syndrome

Aileen July 19, 2010

Hi John, summer “a sea­son with no rea­son” – ahh I love that, it’s sooo true! 10 days by the sea is delightful!

Katie July 18, 2010

Oh Aileen, I plan on doing just that. Slowing down, kicking off my flip flops spending two glorious weeks beach side. Can not wait! Great summer post. You are obviously enjoying yours.
Katie´s last [type] ..What is the World Trying to Tell You &amp Are You Listening

Aileen July 19, 2010

YAY Katie, taking a break!! I’m thrilled to hear that! The beach is amazingly therapeutic and revitalizing (well, revitalizing the next day and days after…the beach day itself can keep us happily zoned)

Madeleine Kolb July 19, 2010

Aileen, The summer does seem to be racing by. My BF and I are fortunate to live in an
apartment complex located on Chesapeake Bay.I walk nearly every day, and after dinner
we’ve been walking down to the beach. We check out the osprey nests and the herons and
egrets feeding in a small inlet nearby. It’s quite a beautiful spot. We also go to the
local Farmers’ Markets for corn and other fruits and veggies. We’re enjoying it while we
can.
Madeleine Kolb´s last [type] ..Rising to the 7 Link Challenge

Aileen July 20, 2010

Oh your summer sounds so refreshing and lovely. Thank you for sharing this, it sounds divine

Louise August 13, 2010

Reading this truly made me feel good. Sometimes I go down to the bay and watch the boats and planes while I stroll along – it always makes me happy to do this :).

Angelina December 31, 2013

For one thing, it is a time to share your views
and feelings. As an example, the Tierney family crest is catalogued as “Azure two lines rampant or, supporting a sword proper”.

It is also an opportunity to discuss important character traits with them like honesty, conflict resolution, strategy, compromise
and how to be a graceful loser – or a graceful winner, even.
Angelina´s last [type] ..Angelina

nxy.in February 22, 2014

GSA can build links to more platforms then any other software out
there today, This confirmed GSA, its Unique ability to create a massive
and diverse link profile for hundreds of different platforms with new ones being added at
various stages of updates. Leave the respective fields blank
and check Uncheck Engines with empty fields, or right-click on the field and
choose Disable Engines that use this. The Wiki main function of the program is generating
1,000 of backlinks from authority EDU or GOVWiki in
automatic way.
nxy.in´s last [type] ..nxy.in

pro-epic.net February 28, 2014

When the time came, and to my surprise, I found
it relatively easy to relinquish the need for nicotine for good.
Ex smokers, who grew insomniac, now report that they are experiencing a full 8
hour. Having access to a fish smoker in your own home opens up the variety of delights that can be produced.
pro-epic.net´s last [type] ..pro-epic.net

boys christening invitations November 25, 2014

Wow, that’s what I was looking for, what a information! present
here at this weblog, thanks admin of this web
site.