5 Steps for Working Through Resistance

Resistance is a magician. She changes her appearance from a massive mountain to a thin paper like shield. She pulls countless rabbits out of her hat and those rabbits can stop me. Then the hat is empty and I wonder, were rabbits real or only an apparition?

Resistance likes to appear unannounced. She’s no longer excited to be the Headlining Act at The Magic Castle, that bores her because her audience is sitting there waiting to be entertained by magic tricks. She dislikes a demanding audience she’d rather surprise her unsuspecting participants. These days she prefers moving from house to house covering all continents. She likes to compare herself to Santa Claus.

I’ve noticed her favorite time to pop up in front of me is when I’m embarking on a challenge.

Walking through her smoke hoops is similar to entering the chilly ocean waters at the beach. Upon that first dip of the toe into the chilly water we resist going in, sometimes we just run back to the warm sand. Yet, if we’re courageous enough to enter the water, once we’re in it’s great. We shout to the others who stand on the brink of the water, “Come on in, the waters warm.” We’re not lying to them, it really is warm… once you’re in.

So when the Resistance magically appears, just try to remember that the water’s warm once you’re in. So go ahead jump through her smoke hoops.

Putting poetry and musings aside for a moment, resistance can completely stop us from moving forward or it can merely interrupt our flow. There is a wide range of how strongly we empower it. Wherever the level of resistance is doesn’t really matter what matters is that we keep going and move through that powerful giant cobweb of resistance.

5 steps for working through resistance:

1. Listen to the thoughts that keep you feeling stuck. Write them down so you can see them. They might be “when things settle down I’ll start up again, it’s just too hectic now” or “I tried that before and it didn’t work” or, I don’t have the time, the credentials or …fill in the blank.

2. Stop what you are doing and find a place to be alone. Focus on your breathing as you concentrate on your inhale and your exhale, BREATHE. This is your opportunity to reconnect to productive thoughts and recommit to taking inspired action. (There is a difference between frustrated-action and inspired-action.)

3. Visualize yourself experiencing your goal as if it is already happening. Charge your visualization with the positive feelings of it already happening.

4. Take inspired action. With your current productive empowered thoughts, and your visualization and feelings all in place, choose to experience gratitude for your success. Move forward taking action while feeling inspired.

5. Although you may feel resistance, choose to continue in your actions and hold productive thoughts as you continue on step-by-step closer to your desired goal. Make yourself take the actions. When resistance comes up, take a moment to re-group and move through it. Resistance training makes us strong much like lifting weights.

“It’s the constant and determined effort that breaks down all resistance,
sweeps away all obstacles.”
Claude M. Bristol

“Some people want it to happen…Some people wish it to happen…Others tear down the walls of resistance and make it happen.”

You know that feeling of euphoric accomplishment after you achieved what you thought was impossible, or ridiculously hard? When you do something that was incredibly challenging, it’s exciting! That’s what we need to connect with when resistance pops up. Connect with the excitement, it will push the resistance aside.

Photo Credit by lrargerich

Manal June 8, 2010

A brilliant post. Loved every aspect of it.

I specially enjoyed the imagery of resistance as a magician. You are a wizard with words :)

Here is to inspired action!
Manal´s last [type] ..The Art of Slow

Aileen June 9, 2010

Hi Manal, thank you for your wonderful compliment! Inspired action here we come!!!

Belinda Munoz + The Halfway Point June 8, 2010

Hi Aileen, your site makes me smile (perhaps due to the sunny colors?) and this post is a delight to read.

I find that when I’m feeling resistance, it helps to take one small, super-easy action. Often, it leads to more actions that eventually follow a rhythm. If one action doesn’t do it, I give myself a break or I move on to something else until I’m ready to go back.

I very much like when you say “connect with the excitement.” It’s a great way to pick up momentum.

Aileen June 9, 2010

Hi Belinda, thank you for coming by and thank you for your comment!! I do like the sunny colors :) I agree with you 100% about taking one small easy step it’s amazing how that leads to a rhythm…and yes, when it doesn’t then it’s time to stop for a moment – or move to something else. Everything needs to be replenished at times

Jean Sarauer June 8, 2010

I loved how you said, ‘resistance training makes us strong much like lifting weights.’ That’s so true, but I’ve never thought to put it in those words. Now, I need to remember all of this wisdom for the next time that feeling of resistance rises up in me!
Jean Sarauer´s last [type] ..How to Rant and Still Respect Yourself in the Morning

Aileen June 9, 2010

Maybe a magical thing will happen and you will not experience resistance – that will be my wish for you – to always be in peace or flow but not resistance. To no longer need resistance training. (I can hope)

Cheryl Kohan June 8, 2010

Aileen, this is a wonderful post and at just the time I needed it! The metaphor about stepping into the cold water really hit home and it’s true…once you get your feet wet, all is well.

I have a favorite quote that also illustrates your point: “Many a bad move is made by standing still.”

Your tips are excellent. #5 really resonated. Thanks!
Cheryl Kohan´s last [type] ..World Oceans Day

Aileen June 9, 2010

Hi Cheryl, Thank you for stopping by and thank you for your comment :) soooo true, once we get our feet wet it’s all well
Thank you for adding one of your favorite quotes – I love that!!

Justin Dupre June 9, 2010

This is such an awesome post! I love the picture and the 5 steps for walking through resistance. You got another new fan on your page!

Aileen June 9, 2010

Hi Justin, thank you for stopping by and thank you for your comment!! :)

LOUISE June 9, 2010

I love all your posts but this post “5 Steps For Working Through Resistance” hit me like a TON OF BRICKS! I must admit that I will read this inspiration over and over again – it is something I feel I currently seem to need and, whatever is needed or lacking seems to try to peek out. When realization hits it is time to take the 5 STEPS. It is like “Wake Up”! Thanks again.

Aileen June 9, 2010

Yes it is a “wake up” moment isn’t it. It’s a bit more subtle than my regular “wake up” alarm clock that goes off in the morning – but at least with that one I know how to set it. :) Thank you for stopping by today

Katie June 9, 2010

Great advice, Aileen. Connect with the excitement of accomplishment to beat back our resistance. It’s all in how you look at something isn’t it. Positivity pushing us through our self-made barriers and moving us forward. I like that. Nice post. Oh my, you are prolific these days. Following your own advice?
Katie´s last [type] ..7-Week Life Cleanse: Gathering Ease & Flow in Week 3

Aileen June 9, 2010

Hi Katie, ahhh, ….. yes lately I’m following my advice and I look a little crazy to anyone who see’s it in action as I’ve been caught talking to myself in affirmations. When no one is looking I’m apt to scream out loud scream, then go back and forth for a moment battling my thought process, – sometimes roll around on a yoga ball while I make fun of myself – then after all that inefficiency – I usually pull myself together or call my sister for her to remind me to pull myself back together – alas, and then I move forward more efficiently. ….but that process was edited out of the post :)
Oh my lovely friend resistance does visit me often… and gives me some sly excuses too.

Leah McClellan June 9, 2010

Good one Aileen! What a good way to put it. So many things can be our resistance: fear of/resistance to change, fears of success, fears of failure, fear of being different (or the same!), fear of not being good enough…nasty little voices in our heads. But yeah, once you get in the water it’s warm! And no matter what it is, thinking of it like a cobweb or an entity to move through and thinking productive thoughts along the way is so helpful. I like the cobweb image…swish, swish, sweep lol
Leah McClellan´s last [type] ..From argument to agreement: 7 tips for difficult discussions

Aileen June 10, 2010

“swish, swish, sweep” that’s great!!!
They are really are nasty little voices – but they seem so big sometimes…that darn smoke & mirrors trick

Angela Artemis June 9, 2010

Did you send Ms. Resistance to my house for an extended vacation? She’s an uninvited guest who’s long overstayed her welcome here.

Seriously, I’ve been resisting a number of things for quite a while. Selling/Moving was one of them that I finally had to face and am doing it, but still quite scared about where I’ll end up.

The other thing I’ve been resisting was becoming more authentic about who I really am. So as you know I’m slowly revealing my psi side more. When I become more comfortable I may even write about physical mediumship. It’s a process.

I love the visual imagery in the poetry at the beginning of the post!
Angela Artemis´s last [type] ..Angela Artemis Interviewed by Hulbert Lee of From Bottom Up

Aileen June 10, 2010

I think Ms.Resistance wanted a trip to New York. I did hear her saying it was time stir things up a bit on the East Coast.
I am really excited for you and your new journey. Selling your house, moving – you’re really letting go to take flight. Even if resistance is on your back like heavy backpack, you’re doing it anyway. That is courageous and exciting!

Layers are peeling away and you’re sprouting new wings. Becoming more authentic publicly will empower others to do the same.

Mark June 10, 2010

Excellent article on breaking through resistance. What we resist does persist. We must tear down the walls and trust in our innate power to be!
Mark´s last [type] ..Look Behind The Curtain!

Aileen June 10, 2010

Thank youf or your comment Mark.
Oh so very true – “What we resist does per­sist” – it’s fuel to the fire and then we have to deal with it when it’s more intense.

Chania Girl June 10, 2010

I enjoyed the poetic language of the beginning of this article most. Beautifully stated, Aileen.

Resistance likes to come to me in the form of a big rock in the road, most of the time. So I’ve gotten used to carrying a chisel with me and just chip-chip-chipping away until she’s reduced to rubble. Of course, sometimes I’m able to just find away around her … .
Chania Girl´s last [type] ..The Room No One Talks About

Aileen June 10, 2010

Oh I love this, “So I’ve got­ten used to car­ry­ing a chisel with me and just chip-chip-chipping away until she’s reduced to rub­ble. Of course, some­times I’m able to just find away around her … .” brilliant!!! Thank you Chania Girl!!