Zero Dollar Days

piggy bank with dollarA little game to help you stick to your budget

I created this little game for a friend of mine who had no financial discipline and it caused her extreme pain every month as she faced possible eviction. Fortunately and unfortunately, she couldn’t get a credit card or a loan. This meant she couldn’t incur any more debt than she had.

As you might guess, it was extremely difficult for her to stick to a budget let alone save or invest. We created a budget based on her income and expenses. It was a very tight budget with almost no wiggle room.

The Zero Dollar Day game is a way for her to be financially mindful and to change her mindset into one that finds personal finance and budgeting fun and exciting.

How to play Zero Dollar Day:

1. You do need a budget
  2. You need to know in advance what you are spending each day
  3. You need some method of tracking your daily spending such as a note pad or smart phone

As the day progresses you write down anything and everything you spend money on.

Each time you’ll give it either a B or $

“B” means it was in-budget and planned for
“$” means you fell out of budget & you’re “in the red”

This works great with a buddy who you can check-in with throughout the day and compare your results. The goal is to have zero $ on your page that day.

Example:

Below is not a Zero Dollar Day
Gas for car 30 B
Groceries 75 B
Coffee $2.

Below is a Zero Dollar Day:
Gas for car 30 B
Groceries 75 B

* The key to make this work is, decide in advance that it’s fun!!!! … and find away to get excited about Zero Dollar Days.

Photo Credit 494499 stock.xchng

Jean Sarauer May 13, 2010

This sounds like a great way to save money while becoming more mindful too. As the urges to buy things came up a person could examine those feelings to see if they were triggered by something (an advertisement, etc.) and then find alternative activities to shopping. Definitely want to keep it fun though!
.-= Jean Sarauer´s last blog ..When Bad Things Happen to Good Bloggers =-.

Aileen May 13, 2010

YES, exactly – mindful at the moment the urge to spend happens – giving that pause to examine what triggers it and which one is more fun …saving.. more fun :)

Katie May 13, 2010

You’re so right Aileen. Tracking is the key. Keeping a notebook of what you spend brings awareness. If I don’t do it, I get the feeling my money’s just slipping through my fingers. Tracking helps control spending and put it back in your hands. I like that it could actually be made into a game. I’ll have to give it a try. Great tip! Keep it fun.

Aileen May 13, 2010

There’s something to tracking – when I don’t really track & I just think about tracking it – I think I’m doing fine but then the dollars are gone. …and a big YES to the Fun Factor, it’s easier to do it when it’s fun :)

Angela Artemis May 13, 2010

Aileen, I love this post. The simplest methods always work best when it comes to personal financial planning. Tracking is definitely key.
.-= Angela Artemis´s last blog ..A Thank You Note And a Letter To My Readers – =-.

Louise May 13, 2010

I love this site – seems you have something for everyone – Thank you.

Aileen May 14, 2010

Thank you! Wonderful to hear that :)

Chania Girl May 13, 2010

This is a wonderful idea! I used to be like your friend: fresh out of college I had $6000 worth of credit card debt. It took me three-and-a-half years, but I was able to pay it all off … mostly by living on a very tight budget like the one you described. Nowadays, G and I do something similar (with a bit more wiggle room) only I track everything in a spreadsheet. :)
.-= Chania Girl´s last blog ..Moving House: A New Home for Living Happiness =-.

Aileen May 14, 2010

I’ve recently made the switch from spiral notebook to spreadsheets. I was pretty attached to notebooks but they’re totally not efficient.
YAY to more wiggle room!!! Ahhhh

Emily May 14, 2010

I just read your article on “Zero Dollar Days”. I need to try this. It looks like a great discipline. Where ever you learned this I am happy you passed it on..I’ll try it and let you know how I do!! :)

Emily May 14, 2010

okay..hungry husband does not want my healthy dinner…so fell out of my budget tonight. (guess I’ll try better tomorrow.) :)

Aileen May 16, 2010

:) Hahaha … Ah Yes, the diversity of partnership :)

kimi May 15, 2010

You pointed it all out Aileen, i’m very bad on managing money :( once i have money and go shopping i can spend them all, terrible of me..
.-= kimi´s last blog ..Feedburner subscriber feedcount wordpress =-.

Aileen May 19, 2010

Oh it can be so easy to spend, I know :) …and fun too :)

habithacker May 18, 2010

Very cool idea, Aileen. I love the idea of making something onerous into a game! I’m in. Zero dollar for me today.

Aileen May 19, 2010

YAY Jean for your Zero Dollar Day today! That’s fabulous!!!!

John Sherry May 19, 2010

You are hero for this zero post Aileen. High level financial planning in a simple exercise that’s incredibly easy and massively effective. Now I have to take back my beach shorts to the shop (I live 200 miles from the sea), the book on ‘How to be a Hunk’ and cancel the liposuction. Seriously though Aileen this is such great advice and I’m going to Facebook it I like it that much. This is the type of post that I love as it has an exercise anyone can run with and see an instant result. It should be in a book (e-book included!!!). Brilliant, real brilliant.
.-= John Sherry´s last blog ..How to live G.L.A.D not S.A.D. =-.

Aileen May 19, 2010

WOW! Thank you John!! That’s fabulous to hear.

Yes, take the beach shorts back. :) When I’m at the beach tomorrow I’ll think of you and send you some thoughts of sand and waves (I’m a mile away from the sea)

Emily June 3, 2010

.-= kimi´s last blog ..Feedburner subscriber feedcount wordpress =-.