With countless businesses laying off employees and some going out of business completely the number of unemployed is hitting record highs, especially here in California and our neighbor Nevada. People don’t often plan on finding themselves unemployed and it can be a terrifying spot to be in.
There is phenomenal resource that’s nationwide here in the U.S and too many people don’t know about it. It’s called the local One Stop Center.
Career One Stop Center is nation wide www.careeronestop.org
One Stop Centers are FREE, no cost.
All the seminars, workshops, resources there are all no cost.
Career One Stop Center
Find a location near you www.servicelocator.org
Their Online Resources:
- Resource Library
- Job Search Information
- Occupation Outlook and Employment Trends
- Skills Profiler Assessment
- Ability Profiler Assessment
- Interest Profiler Assessment
- Work Importance Assessment
- Employability Checkup
Resources at your local center:
Talk with career counselor
- Find out if you qualify for funding for job training
- Find out about local training programs (and local colleges)
- Find our about Local Job Fairs
- Access to computers, Internet, phone, fax for your job search
- They have their own Job board, which is updated regularly
- Veteran Program
- Get to know your one stop (learn how to use the resources)
- Launching Your Job Search
- Discovering your transferable skills
- Writing your resume & cover letter
- Resume Critique (personal conversation with a specialist)
- Interview techniques
- Accessing the Hidden Job Market
- Basic Computer Skills
- Basic Personal Finance and creating a budget
- Overcoming barriers to employment
- Government Job Search
A couple tips in using the One Stop Center:
If you want to go to a seminar and it’s full, still sign up for the next available one, but go 30 minutes early and sign up on the waiting list. Often times a few people don’t make it and those spaces open up.
If you want to talk with a career counselor you have to go in person to the Get To Know Your One Stop Center, after that seminar you will have a name and number to call.
If you want to find out if you qualify for funds for training, you have to start with the Get To Know Your One Stop Center workshop.
“Move confidently in the direction of your dreams…”
~ Henry David Thoreau.